Searching for records within an application
Methods of searching records
Predefined or custom search
Quickly find records for which you frequently search. You can create custom searches.
Searching all records
Use this type of search when you are looking for record that is not associated with your ID or your group's ID, or any time you search all of the records.
Search might be case-sensitive or case-insensitive depending on how the administrator has configured Full Text Search (FTS) in BMC Remedy AR System. For more information, see .
Creating custom searches
You can define and save custom searches in the application consoles. Custom searches using advanced qualifications allow you to create searches with very specific search criteria, which you can save for reuse. After you save the custom search, it appears in the My Searches list of the Manage My Searches dialog. It is also listed in My Searches list under the Filter By field.
The My Searches options is listed only after a custom search is defined.
This topic contains the following information:
To define and save a custom search
- At the top of the console, click the icon beside the Filter by field.
- On the Manage My Searches dialog, in the Search Name field type a name for the search.
- Click Build Search Qualification to open the Advanced Qualification Search Builder dialog box, and then define the search qualification.
- From the Keywords or Fields selection boxes, select the keywords or record fields on which you want to search.
To insert operators (+, =, >,<, and so on), click the appropriate operator button. Place literal values between double quotation marks:
- Click Select to close the Advanced Qualification Builder, and then click Save.
- Close the Manage My Searches dialog box.
The search appears in the My Searches list of the Filter by field.
To edit or delete a custom search filter
- At the top of the console, click the icon beside the Filter by field to open the Manage My Searches dialog box.
- Under My Searches, select the search filter that you want to modify or delete.
- To modify the search filter, edit it as necessary and then click Save.
- To delete the search filter, click Delete.
- Click Close.
Searching all records from an application console
To search all records
- From the application console navigation pane, click <application> > Search <ticket>. For example, Incident Management > Search Incident.
A form appears that you can use to perform the search. The form is similar to the request creation form. It contains the same tabs and the same fields.
Use the tabs and fields to build your search conditions.
To get accurate search results, enter as much information into the form as you can.
If the Customer field is configured to search on an attribute other than First Name or Last Name, you can still search using the customer's name by opening the Additional Search tab and using the First Name or Last Name fields.
When you finish entering your search criteria, click Search.
When the search finishes, the search results table lists all the records that match the search criteria.
The search criteria are persistent. This means that if you run a search and then close the application, the next time that you open the application and perform this procedure, the search criteria that you entered in this step are still present in the search form. They remain until you change or delete them.
- Scroll through the table to find the specific record you want.
When you find the record, click to display the record in Modify mode.
When you open a record from the search results table, it is added to the history list, but not to the breadcrumb bar. However, any related records that you open from the record do appear in the breadcrumb bar and get added to the history list.
Searching all records from a hub server
The search form described in this procedure is associated only with hub and spoke environments.
Use this type of search from the hub server when you are looking for a record not associated with your ID or your group's ID, or any time you must search all records.
The hub and spoke search is limited to only the fields that you see on the Hub and Spoke Search form.
To search all records
- From the Navigation pane of the hub server, choose Functions > Search applicationName.
The Hub and Spoke Search console appears.
- Enter the search criteria.
- When you finish entering your search criteria, click Search.
When the search finishes, the search results list contains all the records that match the search criteria.
- Scroll through the results list to find the specific records that you want.
When you open a record from the search results table, it is added to the history list, but not to the breadcrumb bar. However, any related records that you open from the record do appear in the breadcrumb bar and get added to the history list