Preparing the server for import
This topic provides instructions for preparing the BMC Service Request Management destination server for import.
The following information is provided:
As part of the process for migrating BMC Service Request Management objects and data, you need to prepare the destination server. The following objects must be present on the destination server before importing service request definitions (SRDs) and process definition templates (PDTs). Otherwise, imported objects might not function as expected.
All foundation data must be identical in the source and destination servers, including the GUIDs for each record. If you manually re-create foundation data (such as companies and sites) on the destination server, the system might not recognize the data, even if the names are the same. This occurs because the records in the foundation data on each server might have different GUIDs.
In 8.1.02 and later versions, foundation data is automatically checked for consistency. For more information, see Foundation data validation.
Customizations include workflow and form changes. Any customizations must be migrated manually, including:
- Standard forms that have been modified
- New forms and workflow
- Custom advanced interface forms (AIFs) and workflow
Configuration data populates fulfillment configuration forms that are used in the Application Administration Console, and is referenced in BMC Service Request Management. This data must be migrated manually, including data in the following forms:
- Approval mappings — APR:Approver Lookup
- On Behalf Of management — OBO:OnBehalfOfDefinition
- Service Level Management data (for example, service targets, work information, and attachments)
- Service target defaults — INT:SLMSRS:ConfigServiceTarget:Defaults
- Work order rules — WOI:CFG Rules
- AIF configuration — SRS:CFGAdvancedInterface
- Define application field — SYS:Form Field Selection (any records added or changed)
- Define application target data — SRM:AppTargetData (any records added or changed)
- Tasks templates — TMS:TaskTemplate
- Task group templates — TMS:TaskGroupTemplate
If you are migrating an SRD that references an application template (for example, a work order template, incident template, or change template):
- The Import all definitions as new import option in the Import Export Console is not supported.
- For the other import options in the Import Export Console, if the application template exists on the destination server, make sure that the application template GUIDs (instance IDs) on both the source and destination server are the same.
- If the template referenced by an application object template (AOT) does not exist on the destination server when the AOT is imported, the AOT is set to inactive. To activate the AOT in this situation, you must manually register a template with it. See .
Atrium Service Catalog data
Make sure that requestable offerings and service offerings from the Atrium Service Catalog data are included on the destination server.
If you are migrating SRDs that were linked to a requestable offering (RO) from the Atrium Service Catalog, transfer the related Atrium data by using Atrium Integrator before you import the SRDs. This ensures that the RO relationship data is preserved in Atrium. Be aware that in BMC Service Request Management, a new RO is created as a Transactional offering, and the Service and Service Offering fields on the SRD are empty.
If you manually create the related Atrium data, the keys used to maintain the relationship will not match, and the RO information is lost. To fix this issue, associate the imported SRD to the new Business Service and Service Offering.
When you delete an SRD, the related requestable offering in the Atrium Service Catalog is not deleted until the data is purged (this is usually a scheduled process). If you export, delete, and then import that SRD on the same computer, make sure that the requestable offering related to the deleted SRD is purged, or the new SRD will not be imported properly.
To prepare the server for import
Use BMC Remedy Developer Studio to migrate custom form and workflow definitions from your source server to your destination server. For more information, see (BMC Remedy Action Request System documentation).
- Migrate BMC Service Request Management configuration data:
- Use the reporting function to export the configuration data in .arx format from the source server, as explained in .
Import the data by using Data Import, as explained in .
Where to go from here
Use one of the following methods to export and import BMC Service Request Management objects and data: