Defining target data from third-party applications
Learn how to define the third-party application target data that you use with questions.
Target data for Work Orders is provided by default with the installation of BMC Service Request Management. For the BMC Change Management and BMC Incident Management applications, the data is provided with the integration installer. If you are not defining target data for a third-party application to work with BMC Service Request Management, skip to Creating application templates and application object templates.
When BMC Service Request Management data (from user input to questions or target data from configuration) is passed to the fulfillment applications, not all applications process this data in the same way. In BMC Incident Management and BMC Change Management, BMC data takes precedence over the template data. However, for Work Orders, the values from work order templates takes precedence over SRM data.
Watch the video for an overview of how to configure target data fields in Service Request Management.
To define application target data
- From the Application Administration Console, click the Custom Configuration tab.
- From the Application Settings list, choose Service Request Management > Application Configuration > Define Application Target Data, and click Open.
From the Application Target Data form, enter information in the following required fields:
Select Active if you want this data to be visible.
The registered application to which the answer is pushed. This is the value you specified for the Registry Name field on the Application Registry form.
Field For Answer
The field that will store the data. This is a field that you registered in Registering the form fields for the application for question field mapping.
Enter information in the following optional fields:
Lets administrators include descriptive text about the field.
The field ID of the field that stores the answer.
Note: This field is auto-populated with the field ID of the field selected in Field For Answer.
Lets you define the length on the fulfillment application. The value in this field is used to truncate the value to match the field length on the fulfillment application before passing it to the CAI. If the truncation occurs, the worklog is added to the service request with the following information:
- Field name
Not all the fields in the Work Order application, nor any of the fields in the BMC Change Management or BMC Incident Management applications, are defined with Field Length settings out-of-the-box. If you are passing data from BMC Service Request Management to a fulfillment application, make sure you set the proper field length values. Otherwise, you might see errors in the CAI events trying to create records in the fulfillment applications, because data from one of the fields in the service request is too long. See Troubleshooting.
Choose an option for the field that stores the answer to hold if a user does not answer the question, if the question is not visible to users, or just as a placeholder. The choices are:
- Default/User Entry — A default value is stored in the field. If you select this option, enter a default value in the Prepopulate Value field. If you select the Default/User entry mode, any value defined here is not used in the Request Entry console.
- Predefined — A predefined value is stored in the field. If you select this option, enter a predefined value in the Prepopulate Value field. If you select the predefined populate mode, the value defined here is used in the Request Entry console.
- System Generated — A system generated value is stored in the field (for example, from the workflow). If you select this option, the Prepopulate Value field is dimmed. The answer is generated by the fulfillment request.
No default configuration data is providing using the System Generated prepopulate mode.
Prepopulate Value Type
Select the type of menu that will be attached to the Prepopulate Value field. The options are:
- Keyword — A menu list containing AR System keywords appears next to the Prepopulate Value field.
- BMC Service Request Management fields — A menu list containing fields from registered BMC Service Request Management application forms appears next to the Prepopulate Value field. The menu list values come from the SYS:Form Field Selection form, when the Selection Type is set to BMC Service Request Management Field Mapping.
- None — Users will enter a value in the Prepopulate Value field.
Select or enter the prepopulated value if you selected default or predefined for Prepopulate Mode. The menu attached to the Prepopulate Value field also depends on your selection for the Prepopulate Value Type field.
Prepopulate Value Field ID
When you select the following options:
- Prepopulate mode of Default/User Entry or Predefined
- SRM fields prepopulate value type
the Field ID is automatically entered after you select a prepopulate value.
Required By Application
Specify whether this field is required or optional. If this field is required, a user must supply an answer for the question when submitting a service request. The default setting is No.
Abbreviation for zero-length character field. If you specify Yes, you allow the character field to be unlimited length for users to add input.
Specify how you to handle the target data in the Registered Application:
- Pull — Pulls the task data from the registered application for use by the data input definitions.
- Push — Pushes the task data to the registered application.
- Get — Retrieves the task data from the registered application. The default setting is Pull.
Only the Pull mode is currently supported.
Exposed To Template
Specify whether to expose the target data when you associate it to AOTs. The default setting is Yes.
- Click Preview to view how the question and answer format will appear to users.