Defining global navigational categories
You can define up to three levels of global navigational categories. The categories you define are shown in the Navigational Categories section of the Service Request Definition form. You can select an image for Category 1 (first level) navigational categories, but not for Category 2 or 3.
When you open the Category Management form, the company that appears is Global if the Multi-Tenancy is set for the Service Request Management application settings. Otherwise, the Select Company field defaults to the Single-Tenancy company you specified. For more information, see Configuring mid tier and multi-tenancy settings.
All administrators have access to Global categories. If you have Unrestricted access, you can see all companies on your BMC Remedy AR System server in the Select Company list. Otherwise, you can see only Global and the company to which you have access.
To define global navigational categories
- From the Application Administration Console, click the Custom Configuration tab.
- From the Application Settings list, choose Service Request Management > Navigational Categories > Category Management, and click Open.
- To create a global Category 1 record, follow these steps:
- Click Add.
New Category appears in the Categories tree.
- Select New Category from the tree.
- Enter a Category Name (for example, Hardware).
- (Optional) Add a brief description of the category. In addition, you can enter any value that can be read by a browser, such as an hyperlink to a web page. See Adding hyperlinks in an SRD.
- (Optional) Click Change Image to select an image. See Configuring service request images.
- Select the status of the navigation category (for example, Active).
The status determines if the category is available on other forms (for example, the Request Entry console or the SRD Qualification for Entitlement).
- Click Apply to add the category details to the tree.
- Click Add.
- (Optional) To add additional Category 1 records, select Categories at the top of the tree, and click Add.
Repeat step 3b through step 3g until you finish adding Category 1 records.
- (Optional) To create a Category 2 record in the tree:
- Select the Category 1 record, and click Add.
Enter a category name (for example, Printer) and a description.
- (Optional) To create a Category 3 record in the tree:
- Select the Category 2 record, and click Add.
- Enter a category name (for example, Xerox Laser Printer) and a description.
To delete categories
To delete a category, select the category to delete, and click Delete.
- You must first delete the child Category 2 and Category 3 records before deleting a parent Category 1 record.
- You cannot delete a navigational category that is currently used with an SRD. You must first select a different category for the SRD or delete the SRD. Then, you can delete the category.
- Deleting a category also deletes all localized categories. For more information, see Localizing navigational categories.