Viewing a Log Zipper output file with Maintenance Tool
From the BMC Service Request Management Maintenance tool, you can view files from the Log Zipper output file (BMCServiceRequestManagementLogs.zip). When you click Browse to Log in the BMC Service Request Management Maintenance tool, a window displays a file navigation tree. The BMCServiceRequestManagementLogs.zip file usually contains a folder with three subfolders with the same names as in the originating system. For example, you might see:
- Documents and Settings
- Program Files
From these folders, you can view files such as:
- ProductRegistry.xml — Contains the BMC Software products, versions, and features installed on the system. Identifying the products and versions involved is an initial step for investigating issues.
- OperatingSystemData.xml — Contains information about the system that is relevant to the BMC Software products. Examining this file can direct your attention to system issues, such as insufficient resources or incompatible versions.
InstalledConfiguration.xml— Contains important environment information from the last successful installation. (A separate installing configuration XML file captures environment and user selections during a current installation attempt.)
You can use an archive utility to unarchive the files into a temporary directory to view the files collected, but the Windows uncompress utility often gives misleading results, indicating the file is empty or is an invalid zip file.
The following sections are provided in this topic:
To run the BMC Service Request Management Maintenance tool
You can run the Maintenance Tool in a graphical user interface or from the command line.
To run the Maintenance Tool in a graphical user interface
- (Windows) Go to the <installationDirectory>\BMCServiceRequestManagement\Utilities folder, and run the BMCServiceRequestManagementMaintenanceTool.cmd file.
- (UNIX) Go to the <installationDirectory>/BMCServiceRequestManagement\Utilities directory and run the ./BMCServiceRequestManagementMaintenanceTool.sh file.
- (Product installation DVD) Run the tool from the utility directory.
To run the Maintenance Tool from the command line
- (Windows) From the <installationDirectory>\BMCServiceRequestManagement\Utilities folder, run
- (UNIX) From the <installationDirectory>/BMCServiceRequestManagement\Utilities directory, run
To learn about command-line options
To learn about available command-line options, use the
-? option when you run the command.
To open a Log Zipper output file with the Maintenance tool
- On the Logs tab of the BMC Service Request Management Maintenance tool, click Browse to Log.
A new window displays a navigation tree.
- In the navigation tree, navigate to the directory with the Log Zipper output file (usually called BMCServiceRequestManagementLogs.zip).
- Double-click the file that you want to view to open it in the appropriate viewer.