Entering work information for a work order
You sometimes need to modify a work order with work history entries that you create during its life cycle to document activities performed or information gathered. Use the Work Detail tab to add work information about tasks performed on the work order. For example, you can track a work order's progress by recording the steps that you took to implement it in the work history.
You might add work information about the following activities:
- General Information — Notes about the work order. For example, you might want to note that a particular CI was deployed and include the date.
- Planning — Notes about a plan to implement a work order throughout your organization
- Implementation — Installation and back out procedures for the work order
- Costing and Charging — Additional information about the cost of the work order. For example, you might want to note that the cost was split between two cost centers or that the cost to implement a work order came under budget.
Work information is passed between fulfillment requests and service requests. For more information, see How activity log information is passed.
This topic provides the following instructions. For information about using email to add work information, see Adding work information using email.
To enter work information for a work order
- From the IT Home Page, choose Service Request Management > Search Work Order, and click Search.
- Select the work order to modify, and make the appropriate changes.
- Click the Work Detail tab.
- In the Notes field, enter notes about the work order.
- To add an attachment, click the folder next to the Attachment field, and browse for a file.
To clear an attachment that you just added, click the Remove File icon .
- To add more details:
- Click the arrow next to More Details.
- Add more attachments, as needed.
- From the Work Info Type list, select the type of work information to add.
- From the Source list, select the source of this information.
Information sources can include, for example, email, system assignment, or the Web.
- For the Locked field, select Yes (to lock the log) or No.
- In the View Access field, select one of the following options:
- If you want only users in your organization to see the entry, select Internal.
- If you want everyone with access to the system to see the entry, including requesters, select Public.
When a work note is created in the back-end application and is marked as Public, the work note appears in the request's activity log in the Request Entry console. If the work note is updated, the original work note remains in the request's activity log, but the updated information is placed in a new entry in the request's activity log.
If the work note in the back-end application is updated and the Assignee marks it as Internal, the original work note remains in the request's activity log, but the updated information is not displayed.
Click Add to add your entry to the work history.
You cannot modify a Work Detail entry after you lock it.
- To filter specific work entries that appear in the table based on the type of activity, select an option from the Show field.
- To see a report of the activities that you performed against this work order, click the Report icon .
To see all entries for work information history, click the View icon.
When you return to the Work Order Console, you might need to refresh the Assigned Work Orders table to see all the modified records.
- Click Save.
To view work information for a work order
- Double-click an entry listed on the Work Detail tab.
The details appear on the tab.
- To view an attachment, click the Download icon
- Click Clear to return the tab to a state that allows you to enter new work information.