Viewing information on the Request Entry console
- A list of popular requests in your organization
- A list of the popular Knowledge Base articles in your organization (if BMC Knowledge Management is installed)
- A list of your submitted requests
- A slide show of services and other IT initiatives that your organization is promoting.
- Quick links, if any, to external and internal websites
- A Search field to find requests and Knowledge Base articles
- A Favorites link to view requests that you marked as your favorites from the Categories page
- A Browse icon to find request categories that are available to you
If you are using Microsoft Internet Explorer 8, to ensure that the browser displays image slides correctly, navigate to Tools > Developer Tools and set Browser Mode to Internet Explorer 8 and Document Mode to Internet Explorer 8 Standards.
In addition, the menu bar at the top of the page shows links and icons for:
- Broadcasts — Click this link to view broadcast announcements from your company. The Broadcasts popup is configured in User Preferences. For more information about broadcasts, see Setting Request Entry console preferences.
- Cart — Click this icon to view or add requests for submission. For more information about the shopping cart, see Using the cart.
- Home — Click this icon from any screen on the Request Entry console and select the home page you want to view: SRM Home Page (for the Request Entry console home page) or IT Home Page (for the IT Overview Console page).
- Question mark (Help) — Click this icon to view the following options.
- Help — Click this link to view online help.
- Give Feedback — Click this option to submit your comments and suggestions about the Request Entry console to the administrator. For more information, see Providing feedback on the Request Entry console
- Complete Survey — Click this option to respond to surveys. For more information about surveys, see Submitting a request survey.
- Gear (Settings) — Click this icon to view the following options:
- Preferences — Click this option to modify your console settings. For more information, see Setting Request Entry console preferences.
- Approvals — Click this link to open Approval Central, where you can review, approve, or reject requests for which you are the approver. For more information, see Approving requests by using Approval Central.
- On Behalf of — Click this option to search for users on whose behalf you can allowed to submit requests. For more information about submitting requests on behalf on others, see Submitting requests on behalf of other users.
- Down Arrow (Logout) — Click this icon to log out of the Request Entry console.
If the administrator has configured service marketing slides, you will see description and images of services and other IT initiatives that your company is promoting. You can request a promoted service directly from the service marketing area. For more information about submitting requests, see Submitting requests.
This selection lists popular requests in your organization. These requests are added automatically, based on how many times users submits a request during a specified period of time. The maximum number (default is 10 if the marketing pod is enabled, and 15 if the marketing pod is disabled ) and the length of the time period (default is a week) is configurable by the application administrator. From this list, you can select a request with a single click.
This is a list of the most popular Knowledge Base articles that are used to troubleshoot problems. This list appears only if the administrator has installed BMC Knowledge Management. Click an article to view it in a separate window. If none of the listed articles address your issue, enter a keyword in the Search field to find articles on a specific topic. For more information about Knowledge Base articles, see Using Knowledge Base articles to resolve problems.
The Search field enables users to find matching requests and Knowledge Base articles in the Request Entry Console by using the type ahead functionality. When the user begins to type in the Search field, the application displays suggestions in a type-ahead list below the Search field. The user can select a suggested keyword, or continue to enter the keyword in the Search field. Clicking the Search (magnifying glass) icon displays records that match the search keyword. If there are too many results to display on one screen, the user can click more... to display results in chunks.
- The Search field in the Request Entry console is not the same as the Global Search field in the Work Order Console and the ITSM Home page.
- You must use a wildcard (%) in the Search field to extend the search for word stems, such as "ed," "s", and "ing," because word stems are not automatically included. For example, a search for "host" will find matches for "host," while a search for "host%" will find matches for "hosts, hosted, or hosting."
This is a list of requests that you submitted and, if any, requests that were submitted on your behalf by another user. By default, the system shows requests that are in the Open or Draft status, along with their request ID, submitted date, and status. You can filter the list of requests that is displayed by choosing an option from the Show drop-down list. See Viewing and managing your requests.
Information displayed about requests might not be current. For example, a request might have been approved after it was displayed in the list, so its status is no longer Waiting Approval.
To see the most current information, refresh the list of requests by performing a search or by selecting an option from the Show list.
This is a list of hyperlinks to internal and external websites, such as a link to a request catalog on a website. These links display only if the administrator has configured them for your company. For information about configuring quick links, see Configuring quick links.
This link displays a list of requests that you marked as your favorites on the Categories page. You can submit a request, add to cart, or remove a request from your Favorites list from the BMC Service Request Management home page. For more information about adding requests to the Favorites list, see Managing your list of favorite requests.
The Browse button links to request categories that are available to you. When you select a category, you can view the list of requests grouped under it. For more information about request categories, see Selecting requests from categories.