Importing data from the Import Export Console
This topic describes how to import BMC Service Request Management objects and data by using the Import Export Console.
The following information is provided:
Import process overview
The import process uses data from an .arx file that was created by an export operation from the Import Export Console, and consists of the following steps:
- Stage data — This step loads data into the staging forms from your source .arx file. Staging the data prepares it for import, and allows the system to monitor the progress of the import operation. If needed, you can back out from this part of the import operation by deleting the staged data. For more information, see Staging forms and their corresponding destination forms.
- Validate data — (Optional) This step verifies the staged data and tests for potential conflicts, according to import options you specify. For more information, see Import data options.
For example, if you select the option to Import new definitions only (if existing definitions found, cancel import), the validation step a checks to see if there are duplicate entries on the server, and if so, an error is reported and the data cannot be promoted.
- Promote data — This step moves data to their respective destination forms on the server. This step validates the data again based on the import option you specified, and if there are no errors, the data is promoted.
Before you begin
- Make sure that the .arx file that you are importing was created from a compatible version of BMC Service Request Management.
- Review important information in About migrating BMC Service Request Management objects and data.
- Complete the steps to prepare the server for import.
- Copy the exported BMC Service Request Management data (.arx file and attachments folder) to the server to which you are importing the data. Avoid using a system or restricted directory such as C:\ or C:\Program Files.
To import data
Log in with Request Catalog Manager and BMC Remedy AR System Administrator permissions.
- From the left navigation pane, click Import.
- In the Import Command area, enter the following information:
- In the User Password field, enter the password for the server.
- In the Import Path and File Name field, enter the path and file name to the .arx file that you copied to the server.
- Click Stage Data.
- In the Import Data Options area, select an option. For more information, see Import data options.
(Optional) Click Validate Staged Data.
Results are shown in the Import Results table. The Details table shows the SRDs and PDTs imported to their forms.
If necessary, click Delete Staged Data, select a different import option, and click Stage Data again.
- Click Promote Staged Data.