Tracking task time and efforts
You can track the time spent working on a task at any time after it is created, but typically the time tracked is between the Work In Progress and Closed status changes. You can track the time spent working on a task in the following ways:
|Time tracking method||Description|
|Clock||The time is automatically calculated based on when you click Start Clock and Stop Clock.|
|Manual||You enter a time directly into the Time Spent field.|
|Effort Log||The Task Effort Log shows a list of all individuals who have worked on the task during its life cycle. Entries in the effort log are not system-generated, so you must enter them manually. The list is not in chronological order.|
To track time with the clock
- On the Assignment tab of a task, click the Start Clock button.
The current date and time are displayed in the read-only Start Time field.
- Click Save.
- When you have finished working on the task and want to stop tracking the time, click the Stop Clock button.
You must repeat steps 1 and 2 first if you closed the task after saving it.
A message reports the number of minutes spent working on the task. The time spent is also added to the value in the read-only Total Time Hours and Minutes fields.
- Click Save.
You can use the start and stop clock buttons as many times as you like. Each successive time, the new time is added to the existing values in the Total Time Hours and Minutes fields.
To enter time manually
- On the Assignment tab, enter the number of hours or minutes manually in the editable Time Spent fields
- Save your changes.
The time you entered is automatically added to the existing values in the Total Time Hours and Minutes fields.
To enter time in the Effort Log
- On the Assignment tab, click Effort Log.
- In the Task Effort Log dialog box, select the type.
This information is required to show what kind of effort is being logged, for example, actual task activity.
- Enter the time spent in hours and minutes.
This information records where the time was spent.
- (Optional) Enter a description.
- Select information in the company, organization, group, and assignee fields.
This information is required to select the individual for whom the effort log is being created.
- Click Add to Effort Log.
You can view the effort log entry and modify the time or any other information.