Searching for work orders
You can perform the following types of searches for work orders:
- A defined search based on work orders that are linked to your ID or your group's ID
- A one-time custom search by using the Work Order Search form
- A custom search built by using specific search qualification criteria that can be saved for reuse
The Defined Searches option provides a predetermined set of criteria that you can use to find work orders. For example, you can use a defined search to search the database for all work orders in Open status. A defined search looks only through records that are in some way associated with you through your login ID or group ID, such as, records assigned to you or to your support group.
To view the support groups you belong to, select Functions > My Profile from the Work Order Console, and click the Support Groups tab.
A custom search looks through all the records that meet your search criteria, regardless of their associations to people or groups. Use this type of search when you are looking for a record not associated with your ID or your group's ID, or any time you need to search all records.
You can run a one-time custom search, or you can create and save them for reuse. After you save a custom search, you can view it in the My Searches node of the Defined Searches list.
To run a defined search
- On the Work Order console, from the Filter By field, select Defined Searches.
- Select the option that corresponds to the search to run.
You can select By Status, By Role, or By Work Order Type.
- Click the criteria that defines the status of the records to see.
For example, to see all open records by status, click All Open. The results of the search appear in the Console List.
If the contents of the Console List do not update after you run the search, click the Refresh button.
To run a one-time custom search
- From the navigation pane of the Work Order console, select Functions > Search Work Order.
- Using the tabs and fields, build your search condition.
- Click Search.
The application displays a search results list that contains all the records that meet the specified criteria.
- Scroll through the list to find a specific record.
To define and save a custom search
- At the top of the console, click the icon.
- In the Search Name field of the My Searches dialog box, type a name for the search.
- Click Build Search Qualification to open the Advanced Qualification Search Builder dialog box, and then define the search qualification.
- From the Keywords or Fields selection boxes, select the keywords or record fields on which you want to search.
(Optional) To insert operators (+, =, >,<, and so on), click the appropriate operator button and place literal values between double quotation marks:
- Click Select to close the Advanced Qualification Builder, and then click Save.
- Close the Manage My Searches dialog box.
The search appears in the My Searches list of the Filter by field.
To edit or delete a custom search filter
- At the top of the console, click the icon beside the Filter by field to open the Manage My Searches dialog box.
- Under My Searches, select the search filter that you want to modify or delete.
- To modify the search filter, edit it as necessary and then click Save.
- To delete the search filter, click Delete.
- Click Close.