Concatenating multiple inputs
Concatenate multiple inputs if you need to assemble a user's multiple responses into one data target. For example, you can concatenate three questions to one variable, or concatenate values from several SR fields into one SR field.
On the Variable Mapping tab and the SR Field Mapping tab, you can concatenate multiple inputs (for example, questions, text, or values from service request fields) to the same variable or to a field on the Service Request form.
You can use one of the advanced options for mapping the source of the value.
Question — Maps the response to a question as the source of the data for the target data items. You can also select the option to Include Question Text. With this option, the question text, response, and a line break are added to the mapping.
- Text — Maps text as the source of the data for the target data items.
SR Fields — Maps service request fields on the Service Requests form as the source of the data. For example, this functionality is useful if you wanted to push the quantity and total price of a service request to a work order. You also use this functionality with advanced interface forms (AIFs). For more information about AIFs, see Creating and using advanced interface forms
- When you create an advanced mapping, certain restrictions apply. For example, if you use the Internally Represented Response option to map Date, Date/Time, and Time questions (recommended), dates and times are represented as numeric strings. For more information, see Defining the questions and Question format restrictions.
- For questions, the User Displayed Response or Internally Represented Response option applies to all questions in the advanced mapping. If you add questions to the mapping and then choose a different response option, the newly selected option applies to all questions in the mapping.
- If you do not add any items to a mapping, or if you delete all items, you cannot apply the mapping to the selected variable or field.
- If you choose the option to Include Question Text for questions, the question text is not updated in the mapping if you change the question text in the service request definition (SRD).
To concatenate multiple inputs
- On the Question Management form, click the Variable Mapping tab or SR Field Mapping tab.
- Select one of the variables or fields.
In the Mapping Details area, click Advanced Mapping, or click Edit (if you selected a mapped variable or field).
In the Edit Advanced Mapping dialog box, combine questions, text, and service request fields for the mapping.
Select the Question, Text or SR Field option.
To map questions:
Choose the response type to use for all questions — User Displayed Response or Internally Represented Response.
Select one or more questions.
Use the Shift or Ctrl key to select multiple questions, or click Select All to add all questions.
(Optional) Select the Include Question Text option to include the text of the question with the response.
Click Add to Mapping.
To map text or SR Fields, enter text or choose an SR field, and click Add to Mapping.
(Optional) Add another question, text, or SR Field.
(Optional) To rearrange the mapped items, select an item in the mapping and use the arrows to move the item up or down.
To add a line break, select the Text option and press Enter.
To delete the mapped item, select an item in the mapping and click Delete, or click Delete All.
- Click Save.
- Close the Edit Advanced Mapping dialog box.
- Close the Question Management form.