Using the Work Order Console
The Work Order Console provides a dedicated workspace for managing work orders. This console enables work order managers and assignees to track work orders quickly and efficiently.
From this console, you can update your record in the People form, for example, to indicate your assignment availability and to set your notification options.
You can view and edit the default appearance of the Work Order Console. For example, when the Work Order Console opens, you can determine the default search criteria settings. When you define your preferences (for example, to view all open work orders), this base set of preferences is inherited in the Overview Console.
Work Order Console functional areas
The following table lists the functional areas of the Work Order Console:
This area contains the following fields: Show, Filter By, and Search. These fields combine to provide a way that you can filter records in the Work Order table or Tasks table.
Updates the console with the latest information
Work Orders/Tasks table
This table displays high-level details about work orders or tasks depending on the Console Focus you select. The displayed records match the status specified in the Work Orders summary in the navigation pane, or those that were found by the most recently completed search. The WO prefix identifies the work order requests, and the TAS prefix identifies related tasks. You can filter the requests in the table by using the menu options in the Show and Filter By fields.
Opens the New Work Order form so you can create a new work order. For more information about work orders, see Creating work orders.
Create for Company (Hub and Spoke environments only)
Opens the New Work Order form after you identify the company for which you are creating the record. For more information about Hub and Spoke, see .
Opens the work order record selected in the table
Displays the details of the work order selected in the table as a report.
Opens the Service Context summary view for the record selected in the Work Order table. For more information about service context, see Using BMC Atrium Service Context.
Displays options to add and remove columns in the Work Orders table, set time intervals to refresh work order information, save updated preferences, and reset default preferences.
Groups work orders by their status: Open, Unassigned, Pending, and Resolved. Click a group to view a list of individual work orders in the Work Orders table in the right pane.
Click the right arrow to view links to perform the following actions:
Enables you to switch the focus to work orders or to tasks, and to view work orders or tasks that match the criteria selected in the Show field.
Work Order and Tasks links
Clicking the Work Order link displays details about the selected work order.
Work Order Details and Task Details
Clicking the Work Order Details link displays work order details about the task.
Shows activity associated with the work order or task
To open the Work Order Console
To open the Work Order Console, perform one of the following actions:
- Use the instructions at Accessing BMC Service Request Management consoles.
- Use the URL provided by your administrator to access the console directly.
To update your assignment availability and notification options
- On the Work Order Console, click Functions > My Profile.
- Update the information at the top of the People form, or click the tab corresponding to the area in which to change the profile information.
- Click Save.
To set Work Order Console user preferences
- In the Work Order Console, click Functions > Application Preferences.
- In the Default Home Page field, select the console that you want to appear as your home page when you log into the BMC Remedy Action Request System (BMC Remedy AR System) server. For example, if you want the Work Order Management console to appear, select Work Order Management Console. The default value is IT Home Page.
- In the Company field, select the company that you want to appear in the Company field of the Work Order Management console by default.
- In the Show field, you can select the default console view:
- Submitted By Me — Shows all work orders that you submitted
- Assigned To Me — Displays change requests assigned to you
- Assigned To My Selected Groups — Prompts you to select any support groups to which you belong
You can select to display all change requests assigned to your group, or change requests assigned to your group that are not yet assigned to an individual.
- Assigned To All My Groups — Displays change requests assigned to all your support groups
You can choose to display all change requests, or change requests that are not yet assigned to an individual.
- Click the Work Order Management tab.
- In the Work Order Console Settings section, specify the following information:
- Main Table — Select Work Order to set the console focus to work orders, or select Tasks to set the console focus to tasks.
- After New Save — Specify one of the following actions when you click Save on a Work Order form:
- New Request After Submit — (Default) Opens the Work Order form in New mode
Modify Request After Submit — Keeps the current request open in Modify mode
The After New Save field is not displayed in a mixed-version environment, or when BMC Service Request Management is installed as a stand-alone product. The default behavior is also different in these cases — after a new work order is saved, the work order remains open in Modify mode.
- In the Overview Console area, specify the following information:
- Show Work Order — Select Yes if you want work orders loaded into the Assigned Work table when the console is opened.
- Work Order Role — When the Console Focus is Work Orders, select the setting that appears in the Role field.
- Work Order Type — When the Console Focus is Work Orders, select the setting that appears in the Work Order Type field.
- Work Order Status — Select by status type, the Work Orders that are displayed by default in the Overview Console.
- Click Save.
You must close and re-open the Work Order Console for the changes to take effect.