Configuring notifications for service requests
You can set notification options for each SRD. For a selected option, when a notification event occurs, notifications are sent to the Requested By user and to the user specified for that event, such as Requested For user (for on behalf of requests), the assignee, or the approver. For example, Notify End User On Submit is selected. When Mandy Manager submits a request for herself, she receives a notification that the request was submitted. When Mandy submits a request on behalf of Fred User, both Mandy and Fred receive notifications. If a notification option is cleared, no notifications are sent for the related triggering event.
- All notification options are set by default in new SRDs, except Notify End User on Approval and Notify End User on Reject.
- For more information about the notification events and associated workflow, see BMC Service Request Management notification events.
- For On Behalf Of requests, notifications are sent only to the Requested For name specified in the service request, and not to users specified in fulfillment requests. For example, a service request is submitted on behalf of Mary Manager, and a work order is generated automatically. If the contact name in the work order is changed to Bob Backline, Bob's name is not passed back to the service request. Notifications are still sent to Mary, and not to Bob.
The following table shows the notification events and options:
|SRD notification option||Notification event||Description|
Notify End User on Submit
Notifies users when they submit requests for themselves. If the request was submitted on behalf of another user, notifies both the submitter (Requested By user) and the On Behalf Of user (Requested For user).
Notify End User on Complete
|Request Status Completed||Notifies Requested By and Requested For users when the request is Completed.|
Notify End User on Cancelled
|Request Status Cancelled||Notifies Requested By and Requested For users when the request is Cancelled.|
Notify End User on Pending
|Request Status Changed (to Pending)||Notifies Requested By and Requested For users when the request is moved to the Pending status.|
|Notify End User on Reject||Request Status Rejected||Notifies Requested For user when the request is Rejected. The message indicates that the request is cancelled.|
|Notify End User on Approval||Request Status Changed (to Initiated/Planning)||Notifies Requested By and Requested For users when the request is moved to the Initiated/Planning status. The message indicates that the request status has been updated to Initiated/Planning.|
Notify Assignee on Assignment
|None||Notifies Assignee of request assignment.|
Notify Approver on Waiting Approval
|Request Response Escalation (request status is changed to Waiting Approval)||Notifies the Approver when the request requires an approval.|
|None||Request Status Changed (request is reopened)|
Notifies the Request Manager when:
To configure notification options
- Search for the SRD, select it, and click View.
Make sure the SRD is offline. You can define notifications only when the SRD is in New mode or taken offline.
- Click the Functions link in the left navigation pane, and click Manage Notifications.
- Select or clear events that trigger a notification.
- Click OK, and save the SRD.