Configuring automatic assignment rules for individuals
After you have configured BMC Service Request Management assignment events, you configure individual assignment options.
By default, BMC Service Request Management uses the round robin method in the Assignment Engine to assign service requests and work orders to the person who has gone the longest since receiving an assignment. You can configure work orders to use different assignment processes for Work Order Managers and for Work Order Assignees (for example, load balance by capacity).
Only Support Group members with the functional role of Work Order Manager or Work Order Assignee can receive assignments for work orders. For information about adding support groups and functional roles to a user's record in the People form, see Adding a support staff person.
Some work order rule settings are automatically defined during installation of the application.
When Work Order Management uses assignment (for example, assigns a work order), the Assignment Engine checks the assignment rules for the approver's company. If no rules are found, it uses the rules defined for Global.
Advanced administrators can also define custom individual assignment information for work orders by using the Assignment Engine. For more information about configuring the Assignment Engine for assignment to individuals, see the .
To configure automatic assignment rules for individuals
- From the Application Administration Console, click the Custom Configuration tab.
From the Application Settings list, choose Service Request Management > Work Order > Rules, and click Open.
For Company/Group Rule, the Company option is selected.
You cannot select the Group option; it is reserved by BMC for future use.
- Select the company for which to configure assignment, or select the Global option.
Selecting Global configures assignment for all companies.
- For the Work Order Rule Status list, select Enabled if you want this assignment to be available to users.
- To use the Assignment Engine to automatically assign work orders to individuals, perform the following steps:
- Set Assignment Engine Integration to Yes.
- From the Assignment Process Manager list, select the appropriate assignment method:
- Work Order Manager Assignment - Capacity
- Work Order Manager Assignment - Number
- Work Order Manager Assignment - Round Robin
- From the Assignment Process Assignee list, select the appropriate assignment method:
- Work Order Assignee Assignment - Capacity
- Work Order Assignee Assignment - Number
- Work Order Assignee Assignment - Round Robin
- From Create Service Request on the Submit list, select Yes or No.
If you select Yes, when a user submits a work order, a corresponding service request is created. The customer can view this service request and its status, by using the Request Entry console.
To modify a rule from the Work Order Configuration Rules form, search for the appropriate rule, and open it.
To remove an individual from auto-assignment
Set the Assignment Availability field on the People record to No as described in Creating assignments