Working with assigned tasks
Assigned tasks and task groups are visible from the Work Order Console or from the Tasks tab of the Work Order form. After a task is assigned, assignees can log their progress as they complete each task. When all of the tasks related to a work order are closed or cancelled, the work order is set to Completed and the requester is notified that the work order is resolved.
The Status of the work order must be In Progress before you can start working on the task. When you accept a task assignment, you must set the task Status to Work in Progress. This is an important step because different escalations occur based on the task's status. If the task is still in the Scheduled status while you are working on it, an inaccurate escalation can occur.
For task groups, you can click View Flow to see a resizable read-only view of the task flow in the task group. The Task Flow Viewer uses color codes to illustrate the different stages of the tasks. For example, a blue stage indicates that its status is Closed, but a yellow stage shows its status is Staged. The Viewer also shows you the flow among tasks.
To view tasks and task groups
- From the IT Home Page, choose Service Request Management > Work Order Console.
- Change the Console Focus to Work Orders.
This enables you to see the tasks that are associated to a specific work order. To view all the tasks for all of your work orders, change the Console Focus to Tasks.
- Select a work order.
- From the Tasks tab, select the task group or the task you want to view.
If you select a task group, the child tasks appear in a separate table called Children of Selected Task Group.
- Click View.
To add work information to tasks and task groups
- Select the assigned task, task group, or child task and click View.
If you select a task group, the child tasks appear in a separate table called Children of Selected Task Group. Select a child task and click View.
- If this is a newly assigned task, set the task Status to Work in Progress.
- Click the Work Info tab.
- From the Source list, select the source of this information.
Information sources include Email, System Assignment, or Web.
- Enter the details of your work information record in the Summary and Notes fields.
- (Optional) Add an attachment.
The Save operation adds your entry to the task's work history.
When you return to the Work Order form, you might need to refresh the Work Info of Selected Task table to view all the entries.
Public view access is not applicable to task work information.
To view the flow of a task group
- Select task group and click View Flow.
- (Optional) Zoom in or out, and use the scroll bar to move the flow around.