Using the Data Management Job Console
The BMC Remedy ITSM Data Management Job Console is designed for importing Foundation Data and data from all BMC Remedy ITSM applications.
The Data Management Job Console is a useful tool to import BMC Service Request Management data in the following situations:
- You have a multi-user or multi-tenant environment.
- You have strong constraints when granting AR Administrator permissions to users.
- You need to perform cross-application data loads.
- You need to schedule jobs to load BMC Service Request Management data.
BMC Service Level Management data, work information, and any attachments that it contains cannot be imported.
Some of the standard data management capabilities of the Job Console are not available for importing BMC Service Request Management data. For example, you cannot use spreadsheets to import SRDs, PDTs, and AOTs, because BMC Service Request Management configuration is a complex structure of linked objects that cannot be replicated manually in a spreadsheet. Similarly, alias replacement is not supported when importing BMC Service Request Management data because, unlike manually entered data, system data does not contain errors such as different spellings of the same name.
This topic includes the following sections:
To migrate data with the Data Management Job Console:
- Prepare your destination server by importing Foundation data (for example, people information) and required fulfillment application templates (for example, work order templates).
- Use the Import Export Console to export the BMC Service Request Management data as an .arx file from the source server.
- Import the data from the Data Management Job Console.
You must have DMT User or DMT Admin permission to import data from the Data Management Job Console.
To import data from the Job Console
- Perform the required prerequisite steps:
- Prepare your destination server.
- Export the data as an .arx file from the source server by using the Import Export Console.
- Create a zip file of the attachments folder.
Copy the .arx file and the attachments zip file from the source server to the client computer where the Job Console is located.
The use of spreadsheets to import BMC Service Request Management data is not supported.
From the navigation pane of the IT Home Page, select Data Management > Job Console.
- Navigate to Job Functions > Create Job.
- Enter the job name and company and click Save.
- Click the Create drop-down list and select a BMC Service Request Management template.
BMC Service Request Management templates are prefixed with SRM-. The template includes a set of steps to validate and promote data. These steps are displayed in the Steps table below the template details. For more information, see Job templates used for creating import jobs.
- Select the Load step and click View.
- In the Load Parameters section, click Add and then click Browse to navigate to the location where you saved the .arx file and the attachments zip file, and select them.
- Click Save again to save your settings.
- Navigate back to the Job Details tab, and change the Status to Build.
- Click Save.
The Run button is now enabled.
- Click Run.
Optionally, you can schedule the job to run at the specified time. For more information, see .
Job templates used for creating import jobs
A job template includes a set of steps to load, validate, and promote data. You can create jobs using standard out-of-the-box job templates or custom job templates. For more information, see
You can use job templates to import new data only. Using job templates to update existing data is not supported.
The following table lists the standard job templates provided on the Job Console that are specific to BMC Service Request Management:
SRM-Process Definition Template
SRM-Process Definition Template-Wait
SRM-Service Request Definition Template
SRM-Service Request Definition Template-Wait
SRM-Supporting Data Template
SRM-Supporting Data Template-Wait
For more information about using standard and custom templates, see Creating a job using out-of-box job templates.