Importing data from the Import Export Console
This topic describes how to import the BMC Service Request Management objects and data by using the Import Export Console. The import process uses data from the .zip file that is created by an export operation from the Import Export Console, and consists of the following steps:
- Stage data—This step loads data into the staging forms from your source .zip file. Staging the data prepares it for import, and allows the system to monitor the progress of the import operation. If needed, you can back out from this part of the import operation by deleting the staged data. For more information, see Staging forms and their corresponding destination forms.
- Validate data—(Optional) This step verifies the staged data and tests for potential conflicts, according to the import options that you specify. For more information, see Import data options.
For example, if you select the option to Import new definitions only (if existing definitions found, cancel import), the validation step checks to see if there are duplicate entries on the server, and if this case, an error is reported and the data cannot be promoted.
- Promote data—This step moves the data to their respective destination forms on the server. This step validates the data again according to the import options that you specify, and if there are no errors found, the data is promoted.
Before you begin
- If you are importing an .arx file exported from a previous version of BMC Service Request Management, ensure that you create a .zip file of the .arx file. The .zip file may not contain more than one .arx file and its corresponding attachment folders.
- Review the important information in Migrating BMC Service Request Management objects and data.
- Complete the steps to prepare the server for import.
To import data
Log in with Request Catalog Manager and BMC Remedy AR System Administrator permissions.
- From the left navigation pane, click Import.
- In the Import Command area, in the Attach the zip file to be imported section, click Add and select the .zip file.
- Click Stage Data.
- In the Import Data Options area, select an option.
For more information, see Import data options.
(Optional) Click Validate Staged Data.
Results are shown in the Import Results table. The Details table shows the SRDs and PDTs imported to their forms.
If necessary, click Delete Staged Data, select a different import option, and click Stage Data again.
- Click Promote Staged Data.