Creating process definition templates
A process definition template (PDT) is an intermediate object that defines a fulfillment process by relating Application Object Templates (AOTs) to a Service Request Definition (SRD). Use the Process View of the Service Catalog Manager Console to create and manage PDTs.
Types of PDTs and their use
Before you can create an SRD, you must create a PDT that specifies the process to fulfill the service represented in the SRD. You can create two types of PDTs:
- Standard PDT — Defines the process used to fulfill a specific service request; for example, creating an incident request and a series of change requests for a hard drive upgrade request.
- Quick Launch PDT — Launches a specified URL in another window; for example, opens a corporate web site where employees can review and update benefits information.
Before you begin
Before you proceed to create PDTs, ensure that you have:
- Request Catalog Manager permissions
- Read the Guidelines for designing services.
Creating PDTs - Quick Start
To create PDTs, perform the steps shown in the following table.
Verify that the application template (optional) and AOT are configured.
Open the Service Catalog Manager Console and change the Console Focus to Process.
Create a new PDT of one of these types:
You cannot combine PDT and SRD types. For example, you must use a standard PDT with a standard SRD.
(Optional) Localize the PDT.
Add the PDT to the SRD.
Tracking work on a PDT
You can add work information to the PDT about tasks performed on the PDT. For example, you might track a PDT's progress by recording the steps you took to implement it. The work information for each task is shown in the Work Info History area on the process definition template form.
- In the process definition template form, click the General Details tab if it is not already in view.
- In the Work Info area, click Create.
- Enter the details of your work information record in the Summary and Notes fields.
- To add attachments to the record, right-click in the attachment table, and click Add.
- Click Save.
The Save operation adds your entry to the task's work history. The Show field enables you to filter specific work entries based on the type of activity shown in the table.
- To see a BMC Remedy AR System report of the activities you performed against this task, click Report.
The Report Preview dialog box displays the work information entries.
You can create BMC Remedy AR System reports by using the Report Selection and Report Creator forms. Reports created using the Report Creator form automatically create an entry to the Report form when submitted. For more information about AR System reports, see .
- To show all entries for work information history, click View.
- Click Save.