Overview of the user onboarding process
This topic provides the information about the user onboarding process in BMC Helix ITSM: Smart Reporting.
You can add users from AR System to BMC Helix ITSM: Smart Reporting using the Customer Onboarding option on the BMC Helix ITSM: Smart Reporting Admin Console. Using the onboarding process, you can onboard users for the following applications:
- Service management applications
- BMC Helix Chatbot
- BMC Helix Business Workflows
For Service management applications, you can onboard users for a single company or for multiple companies in your BMC Helix ITSM multicompany environment. During multicompany user onboarding, you can onboard users for one company at a time or for multiple companies in bulk.
If you set the default role of users before onboarding, all the newly onboarded users are assigned the new role. If you change the role of users after onboarding, the role of the onboarded users is not changed. For more information, see Setting a default role.
The user onboarding process performs the following functions:
- Creates a single data source for one BMC Helix ITSM: Smart Reporting instance.
- (For multicompany onboarding) In addition to a default client organization, creates a BMC Helix ITSM: Smart Reporting Client Organization for each company that is onboarded. For more information, see Organizations in a multitenancy environment.
- Onboards AR System, BMC Helix Chatbot and BMC Helix Business Workflows users to BMC Helix ITSM: Smart Reporting for all the companies in your environment and adds these users to their respective client organizations.
- Creates a shared organization (managedServiceProviderName_sharedOrg) after the first client is onboarded in a multicompany onboarding, populates the data source, and gives access to the users in Reporting Shared Org group to the shared organization. For more information, Shared organizations.
The following users are not onboarded in BMC Helix ITSM: Smart Reporting:
- Users with login names starting with special characters or containing the ! and # characters in their names
- Users with a duplicate email address in AR System
(For Oracle only) If you have two users in AR System with the same name, one with lowercase and one with uppercase (for example, allen and Allen), only the user that you have created first in AR System is onboarded in BMC Helix ITSM: Smart Reporting.
Videos about user onboarding and importing content
Click each tab in the following click-through graphic to view graphics and videos about user onboarding and content import.
To view a video in full-screen mode, watch it on www.youtube.com by clicking the YouTube icon from the player controls, located at the bottom of the video player.
The following table provides details about the videos:
|Video Name||Description||YouTube URL|
|End-to-end steps for user onboarding and content import||This video (6:38) describes the end-to-end steps to perform user onboarding and content import. It also talks about additional steps you need to perform under specific scenarios.|
This video (4:51) describes how user onboarding works in different BMC Helix ITSM deployment environments. The video describes the following user onboarding features: user onboarding steps (which are separate from content import), user creation filter criteria, and bulk onboarding in a multicompany environment.
|Content import||This video (2:50) describes how the separate content import process imports fresh and upgraded content for all installed Service management applications.|
Onboarding users in an environment that is not running with BMC Helix ITSM
If you have not installed the BMC Helix ITSM, the onboarding process onboards the first seven users that are a part of the Smart Reporting Custom App Users group that is created out of the box in AR System. The users in this group must have Fixed or Floating license types assigned to them. For the Smart Reporting Custom App Users group, only the users are onboarded into BMC Helix ITSM: Smart Reporting, not the data. You must manually import the data for these users. For more information, see Creating a view of database tables and fields.
- If the user that you are onboarding is a Reporting Administrator, make sure that the user is a part of the first seven users in the Smart Reporting Custom App Users group to make sure the user is onboarded.
- To onboard more than seven users that are a part of the Smart Reporting Custom App Users group, contact your BMC Account Manager.