Onboarding users by using the Smart Reporting Admin console
BMC Helix ITSM: Smart Reporting is installed with a separate BMC Helix ITSM: Smart Reporting Administration console that provides options to onboard and offboard users.
The following video demonstrates how to onboard users from a single company:
This topic discusses how to onboard users. See also the following subtopics:
Before you begin
- If secured login (https) is enabled on the Apache Tomcat server for BMC Helix ITSM: Smart Reporting, configure the onboarding and content import link for secured login.
(Optional) Set the default role of the users. For more information, see Setting the default role.
(For multicompany user onboarding only) If you are upgrading from a previous version of BMC Helix ITSM: Smart Reporting to version 9.1.x, manually update the qualification criteria in a AR System form after upgrade completes and before the BMC Helix ITSM: Smart Reporting User Sync (User Sync) utility runs. Otherwise, users from the companies that you onboarded in previous versions are deleted after User Sync utility runs.
In BMC Helix ITSM: Smart Reporting, you cannot onboard multiple customers for the same AR System server. If you have already onboarded a customer, offboard the existing customer before onboarding another customer from the same AR System server. For multicompany user onboarding, perform the same procedure if you want to onboard a company that you deleted earlier. For more information, see Offboarding users and clearing the database in Smart Reporting.
If you previously deleted the client organization for a particular company manually, manually delete the entries for that client organization from the SmartReporting_ClientOrg_Content_Info form. For example, if you deleted the calbro_org client organization , you must delete all entries that have calbro_org in the Client Org Name field of the SmartReporting_ClientOrg_Content_Info form.
- If you previously uninstalled BMC Helix ITSM: Smart Reporting and then reinstalled it by pointing to the same AR System server, perform a cleanup. Before you start the user onboarding process, delete all entries from the SmartReporting_ClientOrg_Content_Info and SmartReportingServer_Info forms. (This cleanup process does not apply if you are upgrading BMC Helix ITSM: Smart Reporting from a previous version.)
To onboard users
- Log in to the BMC Helix ITSM: Smart Reporting Administration Console as a BMC Helix ITSM: Smart Reporting super administrator (siadmin).
The path to the console is SmartReportingServerHostName:port/AdminConsole/#.
From the Services section, select Customer Onboarding > Onboard new customer.
Consider the following scenarios:
If BMC Helix ITSM(BMC Helix ITSM) is installed and depending on your deployment scenario, select Single Company User On-boarding or Multi Company User On-boarding to open the Onboarding Type tab.
- If BMC Helix ITSM is not installed, Single Company Users is automatically selected on Onboarding Type tab, and the Customer details tab is displayed.
Enter the following details for onboarding the customers:Click here to expand...
Field name Description Example value
AR System server details tab
AR System server host name
Host name of the AR System server you are onboarding.
ars-srv AR System server port
Port number defined for the AR System server.
0 AR System server administrator
User name of the AR System server administrator. The user can be any user defined as an administrator on the AR System server.
Allen AR System administrator
Password of the AR System user.
password Onboarding type tab
Select On-boarding Type
The type of onboarding you want to perform:
- Single Company Users—Onboard one company at a time
- Multi Company Users—Onboard multiple companies in bulk
The tab and options appear if BMC Helix ITSM is installed. For BMC Helix ITSM multicompany onboarding scenario, select whether you want to onboard users from one company at a time or from multiple companies in bulk.
Note: If BMC Helix ITSM is not installed, the Customer details tab is displayed.
- Single company at a time
Customer details tab Customer Name
AR System server identifier of the customer for whom you are onboarding the data.
At the time of onboarding, you can provide a name to distinguish among the AR System servers in your environment.
In a BMC Helix ITSM multicompany environment, run the onboarding process for each company defined in the BMC Helix ITSM environment.
Note: The Customer Name should be in lowercase without any special characters.
If you are onboarding data for Calbro Services, the Customer Name for a AR System server in the development environment could be calbroservicesdev, and the name for a server in the production environment could be calbroservicesprod.
Select user creation filter criteria
You can onboard all users from AR System into BMC Helix ITSM: Smart Reporting, or you can select specific groups from which you want to onboard the users. For more information, see "How user creation filter criteria works in onboarding" below.
Note: This field is displayed only if you have BMC Helix ITSM installed on the AR System server.
Criteria to filter and onboard only specific users from selected AR System groups. This field is visible only if you have BMC Helix ITSM installed on the AR System server.
This field applies to:
- Single company user onboarding
- Multicompany user onboarding—one company at a time
- The user onboarding webpage displays the list of AR System groups only after it authenticates and connects to the AR System server. You must enter correct AR System server details. Enter the value of Remedy AR Server Administrator Password and press Tab to view the AR Groups list.
- For multicompany user onboarding (multiple companies in bulk), you can enter the AR System groups using a .
Calendar Viewer, Config Master, Admin
Company for which you want to onboard the users. This field applies to multicompany user onboarding, one company at a time.
Note: The Select Company drop-down list displays only those companies that belong to the supported company types.
Select CSV File
A CSV file that contains one entry for each company to be onboarded. This field applies to multicompany user onboarding when you are onboarding multiple companies in bulk. For more information, see How multicompany user onboarding works.
Note: Make sure that the timezone that you enter in the CSV file is a timezone code that Java supports. For the list of supported timezones, see the attached excel sheet.
Time zone details tab
Time Zone Region
In BMC Helix ITSM: Smart Reporting, specifying the time zone for users is essential when working with business-time related calculations. For example, time zone is considered to evaluate the status of a Service License Agreement.
The BMC Helix ITSM: Smart Reporting administrator can specify the default time zone for all users of a client organization while onboarding them from a single company or multiple companies (individually or in bulk).
Specifying the time zone while onboarding sets the default time zone for all users of a client organization.
- Select the Time Zone Region of the customer.
For multicompany bulk onboarding, use a CSV file to specify the company-specific data for all companies. CSV format represents tabular data in plain text, so the CSV file contains an additional column Time zone in which you can mention the time zone region and time zone. For example, AMERICA/CHICAGO.Time zone considerations
- The time zone specified for a user on the Locale tab of AR System User Preference form always takes precedence.
- If a time zone is not specified on the Locale tab of AR System User Preference form and in BMC Helix ITSM: Smart Reporting, GMT is considered as the default time zone for a user.
- The time zone specified for users during the onboarding process is considered only when the time zone is not specified on the Locale tab of AR System User Preference form.
After the onboarding process is completed, users can update their preferred time zone on the Profile Settings page. (For more information, see the in the Yellowfin documentation.) However, this time zone is overwritten by the time zone specified on the Locale tab of AR System User Preference form when you run the BMC Helix ITSM: Smart Reporting User Sync utility.
Best practicesWe recommend that you always update your preferred time zone on the Locale tab of AR System User Preference form so that the time zone remains the same even after running theBMC Helix ITSM: Smart Reporting User Sync utility. For details about how to specify the time zone for a user in the AR System User Preference form, see .
Time Zone Region: AMERICA Time Zone: Chicago(-6:00)
Note: -6:00 indicates GMT-6:00.
Smart Reporting Details tab
BMC Helix ITSM: Smart Reporting Administrator
BMC Helix ITSM: Smart Reporting Administrator Password
User name and password of the BMC Helix ITSM: Smart Reporting super administrator. The default super administrator name is siadmin.
Note: Change the default password after you install BMC Helix ITSM: Smart Reporting. For more information, see Changing the Smart Reporting super admin password after installation.
User name: siadmin
Assign an existing AR System server user as the Reporting AdministratorUser ID of the AR System user who will be the BMC Helix ITSM: Smart Reporting Administrator.
- For single company user onboarding, this user must belong to the AR System server for which you are onboarding.
- For multicompany user onboarding (one company at a time), this user must belong to the company for which you are onboarding.
Note: For multicompany user onboarding (multiple companies in bulk), this field is not available. You can specify the name of the reporting administrator in the CSV file.
For multicompany user onboarding (multiple companies in bulk), the interface displays a summary of the CSV file. The summary lists the following items:
Invalid data such as companies or users not available in AR System and users not present in the selected AR Groups
Missing company names and user names
A list of companies that are already onboarded
Click Continue to begin the onboarding process.
For multicompany user onboarding, the Continue button is enabled only when all the company data in the CSV file is valid. If the data is invalid, view the smartreporting.log file, correct the data in the CSV file, and then run the onboarding process again.
(Optional) Click Check Progress to check the onboarding status.
When the onboarding is complete, the interface displays a confirmation message.
In multi company user onboarding (multiple companies in bulk), if some companies fail to onboard, the entire onboarding process does not roll back. Instead, the onboarding process displays an error message on the summary screen. For details about companies or users that failed to onboard, see the RemedySmartReportingInstallLocation/SmartReporting/appsserver/logs/smartreporting.log file.
If you modify the role of an already onboarded user to a CMDB user after the onboarding process is complete, manually change the role of that user to Dashboard Consumer after the User Sync utility runs.
If you want to onboard users from a different AR Group after you have completed the onboarding of a company, update the filter criteria manually. When the User Sync utility runs, users belonging to the new filter criteria are onboarded. For more information, see Updating the AR System group filter criteria.
How user creation filter criteria works in onboarding
The user creation filter criteria works in the following manner:
- The AR System groups filter criterion lists all the groups that are available in the Group form, except the Computed group.
- You can select multiple groups; however, if you do not select any groups, users from all AR System groups are onboarded.
- When you apply AR System groups as a filter criteria, users that fulfill all of the following criteria are onboarded:
- License type: Fixed, Floating, or Bundled
- Status: Current
- Group membership: The selected AR System group
The user creation filter criteria is applicable to single company onboarding and multicompany onboarding.
Onboarding multiple companies in bulk
The CSV file for onboarding multiple companies contains:
- Comma-separated values of the company name
- User name of reporting administrator for that company
- AR System groups set as the filter criteria
The entries in the CSV file must have the following format:
- For a single AR System group set as a filter criterion—companyName,userName,AR Group;Timezone
- For multiple AR System groups set as filter criteria—companyName,userName,AR Group 1;AR Group 2; ... ;AR Group N;Timezone
You must add an entry for one company on one line in the CSV file. Note the following points about the CSV file:
- Adding AR System groups as filter criteria is optional. If you do not add any groups, users from all groups who match the default License Type and Status filter criteria are onboarded.
When you add any groups as filter criteria, only the users of the selected group that have a Fixed or Floating license and the Current status are onboarded.
- The companyName that you specify must be one of the supported company types.
- The userName that you specify must be the BMC Helix ITSM: Smart Reporting Administrator. For a company, you can assign only one user as the reporting administrator. Thus, the CSV file contains only one userName record per company. All other users for that company are automatically onboarded, based on their License Type, Status, and the AR System group that you select.
- Do not add any spaces between the input parameters in the CSV file.
See the attached Sample CSV file.