Importing out-of-the-box content
The content import process imports out-of-the-box reporting content for Service Management and BMC Helix Innovation Studio applications to BMC Helix ITSM: Smart Reporting(Smart Reporting). This process imports fresh and upgraded content for all the installed Service Management and BMC Helix Innovation Studio applications in the following deployment scenarios:
- A single company in a BMC Helix ITSM (BMC Helix ITSM) environment
- (Service Management applications) Multiple companies in a multicompany BMC Helix ITSM environment
After onboarding all users in Smart Reporting, a Smart Reporting administrator must manually run the content import process. For multicompany onboarding, the administrator can import the out-of-the-box content at scheduled intervals for all the tenants at same time. For more information, see Synchronizing common content across multiple tenants.
Import process overview
Content is the core of Smart Reporting, which provides various reporting options for data from the Service management applications. During the installation of individual applications such as BMC Helix CMDB or HR Case Management, fresh and upgrade content is pushed to a AR System form. The content import process imports the content for each application from the form to Smart Reporting.
If you install or upgrade an application after importing the content for the first time, you can manually trigger the content import process again. The process imports content only for newly installed or upgraded applications, not for applications for which you imported content earlier. For example, suppose you are upgrading Service management applications from version 19.02.00 to version 19.11.00. In version 19.02.00, you had BMC Helix CMDB and BMC Helix ITSM. While upgrading to version 19.11.00, you also installed a new application, HR Case Management. When you run the content import process, it imports fresh content for the HR Case Management application and upgrades the content for BMC Helix CMDB and BMC Helix ITSM.
If you upgrade an application and run the content import process, the process overwrites the existing content that was imported during the previous installation. Similarly, if you directly customize out-of-the-box content and run the import process, the process overwrites customized content.
|Example for upgraded content|
Report_A was imported earlier as fresh content for BMC Helix ITSM 19.02.00. Now, you have upgraded BMC Helix ITSM to version 19.11.00. With the upgrade, Report_A was updated as Report_A_1902. When you run the content import process after the upgrade, the process overwrites Report_A with the new Report_A_1911.
Example for customized content
In Smart Reporting 19.02.00, you customized an out-of-the-box report, Report_B, and saved a copy as Report_B_Custom. You upgraded Service management applications to version 19.11.00 and ran the content import process after the upgrade was complete. In version 19.02.00, out-of-the-box Report_B was updated. After you run the content import process for upgraded content, the process overwrites Report_B from version 19.02.00 with Report_B from version 19.11.00. The process does not update Report_B_Custom. You must manually reconcile any changes to Report_B_Custom after upgrading.
Before you begin
- Onboard users in BMC Smart Reporting.
- To import content to Smart Reporting, ensure that you are a member of:
- The AR Admin group
- The Struct Admin group and Smart Reporting Admin group—You must belong to both these groups to be able to import content.
If AR System administrators do not see the Smart Reporting Admin group in Mid Tier, they must flush the Mid Tier cache.
For more information about flushing Mid Tier cache, see in the AR System documentation.
- The AR Admin group
- In multicompany onboarding, to share common content across multiple tenants at the same time, you must be a member of the shared organization. For more information, see Synchronizing common content across multiple tenants and Organizations in a multitenancy environment.
To import out-of-the-box reporting content
- Log in to the Smart Reporting Administration Console as a Smart Reporting super administrator (siadmin).
The path to the console is SmartReportingServerHostName:port/AdminConsole/#.
Select Services > Import Content.
Select the customer for whom you want to import the reporting content, and click Next.
- Follow the import content wizard to complete the content import.
- Select the product name and version (current and later versions only) for which you want to import content, and click Add. The following products are available:
- BMC Helix CMDB
- BMC Helix ITSM
- BMC Service Request Management
- BMC Service Level Management
- BMC Helix ITSM: Smart IT
- BMC Helix Virtual Agent
- BMC Helix Business Workflows
Repeat this step for each product and version you want to import content for.
- Validate your selection, and click Start Import.
- Re-importing data for a version overwrites the out-of-the-box content. Any data that was modified is lost.
- If you select Select All from the product list, content of the latest version of all listed products is imported.
- The time taken for import depends on how many products you import data for.
After completion, the process displays the content import result. The import content wizard displays the product names for which the import process has passed or failed. For additional information about any failures, refer to the sr.timeStamp.log file. You can fix the issues and re-import the content for the applications for which the import process has failed.