Modifying an out-of-the-box view
When you create a custom view, out-of-the-box reports do not automatically change references to the new custom view. Existing reports continue to reference the out-of-the-box view.
- Do not delete the current objects, joins, forms, fields, or tables from the out-of-the-box views. BMC updates out-of-the-box views with every release.
- If you modify out-of-the-box views, create and save a copy of the out-of-the-box view, and then make changes to the copy.
- Although you can create multiple custom views for each out-of-the-box view, combine your changes into as few customized views as possible.
- When you create new objects in a view, always use unique names.
Consider a scenario in which you have two versions of the Incident Management view:
- Incident Management—An out-of-the-box view.
- Incident Management - Custom—A custom view from a copy of the out-of-box-view. You have added a few fields to the custom view.
Incident Crosstab is an out-of-the-box report that refers to the out-of-the-box Incident Management view. You want the report to refer to the Incident Management - Custom view. To update the references, you create a copy of the Incident Crosstab report and update the view references in the copy to refer to the Incident Management - Custom view.
Remember the following tips when working with views:
- For reports and dashboards:
- Existing reports do not automatically update their view references to custom views. You must update the references manually.
- You can continue to use existing reports that refer to existing views. You can create new reports that refer to custom views.
- If you update out-of-the-box dashboards and reports, create a copy and make changes to the copy.
- After an upgrade:
- BMC might update out-of-the-box views with release updates. Existing out-of-the-box views are overwritten.
- To update your customized views, manually reconcile BMC updates to the customized views.
For example, say that you copied the out-of-the-box Incident Management view to create a new Incident Management - Custom view. You then customized the Incident Management - Custom view. In an upgrade, BMC added a few new tables and fields to the out-of-the-box Incident Management view. To update the Incident Management - Custom view, you must reconcile it with the upgraded out-of-the-box view, and manually make changes to the Incident Management - Custom view.