Getting started with creating reports and charts
You can create simple and sophisticated analytical reports with the drag-and-drop report builder. The options that you select determine the steps available through the builder. The following options are available:
- The type of builder you use
- The data source you build on
- The fields you use in the report, and the layout defined by them
- The filters and/or sections you add to the report
- The addition of Related Reports, Drill Functionality, and Subqueries
This topic provides a high-level overview of the steps for using the report builder. For more information, see the following topics:
- Selecting the fields to show in a custom report
- Applying a layout to rows and columns in a report
- Aggregating results, grouping values, summarizing, and transforming results
- Performing calculations on fields in a report
- Organizing reports in sections
- Applying a filter to data in report fields
The following video (7:09) describes how to create a basic report.
The following two-part video series describes how to create a report and add charts to it.
Perform the following steps to create a report by using the report builder:
Step 1: Select a view
The first step in building a report is selecting the view:
- On the main menu, select Create > Report.
- In the New Report window, select a view. For example, Incident Management.
Use the fields defined within the view to create the report.
Step 2: Define the fields, filters, and display options for the report
Use the Data tab to define the look and feel of a report, the fields to display, the filters to use, and determine whether a chart or drill through should be displayed. The following steps use fields from the Incident Details folder.
- In the left navigation panel, expand the Incident Details folder.
Drag and drop the Incident ID field into the preview area.
You can also drag the field directly into the Column or Rows list.
Expand the Incident Owner category and drag the Submitter field next to the Incident ID field to the Preview area.
Expand the Date and time category and drag the Reported Date field to the Rows area.
On the main Formatting bar, click the Column Formatting icon to adjust the title and formatting options applied to the fields in the report.
Select the Incident ID field, and change the Display name of the field to Incident No.
Click the X button on the top-right corner of the Column Formatting menu to close it and apply changes.
Step 3: Build charts
Use the Charts tab to build visualizations based on the table created on the Data tab. Perform the following steps after defining the fields, filters, and display options of the report.
- To progress to the Chart Builder step, click the Charts tab.
On the left side, a list of fields appears from the fields you selected in the Data step.
- Drag the Reported Date field to the Horizontal Axis component.
- Drag the Incident No field to the Vertical Axis component.
A line chart is generated. To change the chart type manually, switch from the Auto Chart builder to a specific type.
- Open the Select Chart panel on the right of the screen.
- In the Pie section, select a basic Pie Chart.
- To enable labeling:
- In the main navigation bar, select the Labels formatting menu.
- Turn on the Labels toggle.
- For Label Contents, select Category and Percentage.
- Click X to close the menu and apply your label settings.
Create relationships between the draft report and other content by using Drill Through and Co-Display reports.
Step 4: Design the report's format
The Design tab enables you to format the report, set up a multi-chart canvas, and perform other functions.
Click the Design tab.
- Use the icons in the middle of the navigation bar to configure settings such as Report Formatting, Column Formatting, and Conditional Formatting.
Step 5: Publish the report
With the Publish tab, you can save the report.
- Enter a name and description, and select a location to save the report.
- Set Report Access to Public.
- Click Save As Draft.