Progressive Web Application screens in Smart IT
In Smart IT 20.08, Progressive Web Application (PWA) screens are available for work orders and incidents. You can access the PWA screens if your organization has opted for this feature.
Overview of Progressive Web Application
In Remedy Developer Studio, you can enable progressive views either for an out-of-the-box (OOTB) form or for a custom form. Using PWA, you can create applications that are flexible and provide a dynamic, modern UX for your applications.
A progressive web application can work with multiple types of clients—Browser, Android, and iOS devices. PWAs are designed in such a way that the same view is used for browser and mobile clients, and it is responsive and is rendered according to the clients in which it is displayed. PWA provides a modern, mobile-friendly UI that is similar to Smart IT but is also customizable and extensible like Remedy Mid Tier .
The PWA technology meets the following requirements:
- Progressive—Works on all supported browsers. To learn more about the supported browsers, see . The core principle used to build the PWA is progressive enhancement. To learn more about progressive enhancement, see .
- Installable— In case of mobile devices, allows you to place useful applications on your home screen without the need of an application store.
- App-like—Utilizes an app-shell that provides an app-like navigation and interactions on mobile clients.
- Responsive—Works on any screen size of any device. Auto-scales and auto-arranges the view components dynamically to cater to the need of resizing the application, for example, within a browser or when you move the browser instance across different screens of your computer.
- Safe—Uses Transport Layer Security (TLS). TLS prevents snooping attacks and guarantees the integrity of the content of a website.
- Linkable—Easily shareable by using a link. It does not require complex installations.
Advantages of Progressive Web Application
- Faster application load time.
PWA is designed on the lines of a Single Page Application (SPA), so that all static content is loaded just once in a browser and you can navigate seamlessly without the whole browser page being refreshed.
- Flexibility for developing dynamic user interface.
- Ease of customizing the application.
- Includes a responsive design that enables content to adjust as per your screen size, such as browser, Android, or iOS devices.
- Support for Section 508 compliance similar to that of Smart IT and Mid Tier.
- Support for localization.
You can localize all labels in a generic fashion without the need to create per-locale views. You can also retrieve locale-based data.
- Accessible with user credentials via the standard login functionality similar to that of Smart IT including RSSO integration.
Cross-launch of PWA from Smart IT
You can access work orders and incident screens from Smart IT browser. A cross-launch of PWA from Smart IT is required because not all Smart IT screens are converted to PWA currently. Therefore, the system handles the transition between PWA and regular Smart IT views automatically.
The following diagram illustrates cross-launch of PWA from Smart IT:
When a Smart IT user accesses an incident ticket:
- The Incident screen in available as PWA. Therefore, Mid tier is cross-launched from Smart IT so that the incident ticket can be viewed as PWA.
- The incident screen is available as a PWA. Therefore, the user is redirected to Mid Tier. The user views the incident and gets the incident details such as, tasks, notes.
- Mid Tier sends the final response to the Smart IT user.
When a Smart IT user accesses a problem ticket:
- The request to view a problem ticket is sent to the Smart IT server because the Problem screen is not available as PWA.
- An authentication REST API call is sent to Smart IT server.
- A user is logged into Remedy ITSM.
- A user receives problem related information such as, problem and relations.
Work order screens in Smart IT
The following table displays the Smart IT and PWA screens for work order:
|Smart IT work order screen||PWA work order screen|
Incident screens in Smart IT
The following table displays the Smart IT and PWA screens for incident:
|Smart IT incident screen||PWA incident screen|