Configuring actions in Smart IT
Actions are events triggered in Smart IT. These events can open a specified URL or URI or send a signal to the BMC Remedy IT Service Management server (Remedy ITSM server) to perform a specific activity, such as opening a Google search page with the search string specified in the accelerator, opening ticket details in BMC Remedy IT Service Management (BMC Remedy ITSM).
To configure actions, you must have the AR System administrator permissions. To run actions, you must have access to the ticket or item in Smart IT. Service desk agents can run these actions in Smart IT. When service desk agents work in Smart IT, actions provide them a quick access to different sources of information. For example, when resolving a ticket, they can refer to the information provided by defined actions and determine how to proceed.
Types of actions
Depending on where the actions are run, actions are categorized into the following types:
|Provider actions||Provider actions are run in Smart IT and ITSM server. The event is triggered in Smart IT and processing is done at the backend. Smart IT sends the events to ITSM Server to do the necessary processing in ITSM workflow. For the details of configuring provider actions, see Configuring Provider Action.|
|Client-side URL action|
Client-side URL/URI actions are run on the client's browser window. At run time, the value in the accelerator is taken from the ticket (for example, [desc] for the Incident description) and displayed in the URL.
Asset actions are specific only to the Asset view and are run in Smart IT. Asset Actions are useful when users perform a specific task repeatedly against assets, which result the update in several data attributes and asset relationships. Based on the user inputs selected when configuring asset actions, the selected type and subtypes of assets are updated or a relation is created between an asset and another asset or person. For information about asset actions, see Configuring asset actions.
- When you configure a Client-side URL/URI action for the Asset View, out-of-the-box and generic customized fields are displayed in the accelerator list. Asset type-specific customized fields are not displayed in the accelerator list because the Client-side URL/URI action is a generic action, and not specific to any asset type or asset class.
- If the URL consists of %20, then for security reasons, the system replaces it with '+'. For example,
http://<Mid tier server name>:<port number>/arsys/forms/<ITSM server name>/SHR%3ALandingConsole/Default%20Administrator%20View
is encoded and placed as:
http://<Mid tier server name>:<port number>/arsys/forms/<ITSM server name>/SHR:LandingConsole/Default+Administrator+View
URLs with '+' as first character in the form name are not supported in BMC Remedy ITSM, and therefore, they are not loaded. However, forms that have '+' within the URL, are properly loaded. When adding URLs, you must validate the URL to avoid security flaws. It is recommended that you follow OWASP Enterprise Security API (ESAPI) standards to validate URLs.
Supported platforms and Smart IT views
Smart IT is supported on the Universal Client (UC), and Google Android and Apple iOS mobile platforms. The following table compares the options available for the UC and mobile platforms.
|Create, edit or delete actions|
You can configure actions for the following views that Smart IT supports: Incident, Work Order, Task, Person Profile, Change, Problem Investigation, Known Error, and Asset. You can configure actions separately for each view in Smart IT or configure global actions for all Smart IT views. Global actions are common to all views in Smart IT and support only Client-side URL/URI actions.
Common options when configuring actions
When configuring actions, there are common options that you must specify. Click the pointeron the following graphic to understand the options.
The information given in the interactive graphic is also available in this table:
|Alphabetical order/Custom order||You can specify the order of actions displayed in the More list. By default, actions are set in alphabetical order. You can select the Custom Order option to reorder actions.|
|Action Type||Depending on the action you want to configure, select an action type. Client-side URL is selected by default.|
|Supported platforms||You can run actions on both the desktop and mobile platforms.|
If you select Client-side URL, enter a URL/URl and select the relevant accelerators. If you select Provider Action, enter an Action ID.
Smart IT does not accept the following special characters in the Client-side URL: @, ^, ~, |, !
|Open Behavior||You can open the action in a new browser window or the same browser window. The New Browser Window option is selected by default.|
You must provide a default label for the action. The label that you specify is displayed on the More list for the action you configured.
When you configure actions, you can localize action labels in the languages supported by Smart IT. If the locale language configured in the service desk agent's OS or browser does not match with the localized label, the action is displayed in the default language.
For example, you configure an action and specify the label text with English as the default label and French as the localized label. If the locale language configured in the service desk agent's OS or browser is French, they will see the action label in French. If the locale language configured in their OS or browser is not French, they will see the action in the default English language.
|Apply to Asset Types||Select the asset type and subtype from the Apply to Asset Types list.|
|Edit or delete an action|
At any time, you can edit or delete actions from the UC platform.
you cannot delete a provider action template if it has an associated provider action.
Configuring a provider action
Provider actions are run in Smart IT and ITSM server. The event is triggered in Smart IT and processing is done at the backend. Smart IT sends the events to ITSM Server to do the necessary processing in ITSM workflow.
- Configuring a provider action for change request and incident ticket
- Configuring a provider action for other ticket types
Configuring a provider action for change request and incident ticket
The provider action appears under the More menu after configuration. To execute a provider action, users click the provider action from the More menu. You can configure provider action for specific fields also. You can insert a provider action button that user can click at the specific field. While executing the provider action the related ticket opens in edit mode. In the Remedy Action Request System, you need to create a provider action template by using the FND:SmartIT_Provider Action Template Configuration form. You can map the fields of Smart IT with the defined fields of Remedy Action Request System templates by configuring the inputs and outputs in Smart IT. In this form, you can select the source form for which you are calling the action, and define all the inputs and outputs fields that will appear in Smart IT. This defined and enabled template appears in the suggestion list when you start typing in the Template Name field in Smart IT. Smart IT receives information from this defined source form while it is executing the provider action. For more details, see Creating Provider Action Template using FND:SmartIT_Provider Action Template Configuration form.
Creating Provider Action Template using FND:SmartIT_Provider Action Template Configuration form
You can create the provider action template by using the FND:SmartIT_Provider Action Template Configuration form in Remedy ITSM.
- Open the form.
- Click New.
- In the Provider Action Template Name field enter the name of the template.
- Click the drop down list of the Source Form field and select the form.
For example, for a change ticket, select CHG:Infrastructure Change.
- Select Change or Incident from Data Source field as per your requirement.
- Select Online radio button.
- For Input field, select Input from the Mapping Type drop down list.
- Select Sequence.
For example 1.
- From the Select SourceField drop-down list, select the field.
For example Description.
- Click Save.
After you click Save, the New Mapping button becomes active.
- Click New Mapping.
- Select Output in the Mapping Type and follow the same process for mapping.
For example, you map Environment as the Source Field.
- Click Save.
The input and output fields appear in Smart IT when you select the template in the Template Name field of Provider Action.
- As an administrator, if you modify the field mapping information of a Provider Action in the FND:SmartIT_Provider Action Template Configuration form, you need to update the corresponding information in the Screen Configuration of Smart IT.
- Following fields are not supported: Diary, Binary Large Object (BLOB), Attachment, Status and Currency.
Configuring provider actions in Smart IT for change and incident ticket
- Log in to Smart IT as an Administrator.
- From the Configuration menu, select Screen Configuration.
- Click Add/Remove Actions in the specific view (For example, Change View, Incident View).
By default, the provider actions that are already configured appear in alphabetical order in the Add/Remove Actions dialog box. You can click Custom Order and drag and move the provider action to configure the actions as per your preferred order.
- Click Add Action to configure a new provider action.
- Under Action Type, click Provider Action and provide any additional basic information.
For the Selected Platforms where the action will be displayed, select Desktop Web (UC), Mobile Platforms (iOS/Android), or both.
You can configure a provider action in Desktop Web (UC) and then make the action available in Mobile Platforms (iOS/Android).
In the Template Name field, start typing the Remedy Action Request System template name, and select from the suggested list. This template is used to map the Remedy Action Request System template with Smart IT.
Under the I/O Mapping section, select Available Mode to configure a provider action for a specific field.
Select View to have the provider action button of a specific field appear in the view mode of the ticket.
Select Edit or Both to have the provider action button for a specific field appear in either of those modes in the ticket view.
For more information on configuring provider action at a specific field, see Configuring provider action at a specific field.
Under the Input Mapping area, perform the following actions for the input mapping fields:
Select From Ticket and type and select a specific field of the Smart IT ticket to execute the value of the field.
Select User Prompt, if users need to put the required information in the User Prompt box and click the execute button.
Select Default Value, type and set a default value.
You can insert text and number as User Prompt. For UC, Date/Time, Selection list and enumerated values are not supported in User Prompt. Enumerated values and Date/Time are also not supported in Default Value.
- Select the Synchronous Action check box.
The provider action is synchronized and the Smart IT screen does not change until the execution is completed. If you don't select this check box, the action becomes Asynchronous and the provider action is executed at the background and don't refresh the data on screen. For Asynchronous actions, you must refresh the ticket after the action completes to see the updates.
- Under Localized Labels to Show, select a supported language and add a label for the action. The label text is displayed under the More menu.
If you map the provider action with any specific field, the field is displayed in the Mapped to fields area. For more information on configuring provider action at a field, see Configuring provider action at a specific field.
- Click Save to configure actions.
Click Refresh Metadata.
If you don't refresh the Metadata, the parameters will not be passed to the filter, so the Run If Qualification can never be met, and your workflow will always be bypassed.
To complete the provider action configuration, see Configuring and adding business logic of provider action in Remedy ITSM.
Configuring and adding business logic of provider action in Remedy ITSM
To complete the provider action configuration, you need to associate the Remedy Action Request System forms in the Developer Studio.
- In the Developer Studio, select the related server and log in.
The server name is displayed in the AR System Navigator tab.
- Click All Objects.
- Right-click Filters and click New Filter.
- In the Associated Form section, click Add.
- In the Filtering option dialog box, type the form name in the Name field.
For example, CHG:Infrastructure Change.
- Select the form and click OK.
- Under Execution section, select the Service check box.
- (Optional) In Run if qualification, build a query with the action name and the Action name=attributes.
- Click OK.
- In the If action pane, right-click Add Action, and select the appropriate option and complete the steps based on the added action.
For example, if you select Set Field action, you can set the fields and the corresponding values in the Set Fields section. You can set the values from the available Selection Values or from any field.
- Provide a filter name and click OK.
The provider action is set. You can open a ticket in Smart IT and from the More menu, you can execute the provider action. You can also configure this provider action at a specific field. For details, see Configuring provider action at a specific field.
Configuring provider action at a specific field for change and incident ticket
The provider action at the field is indicated by a button. Users can click this button to execute the provider action.
Currently, configuring provider action for widget objects is not supported. To add a provider action in the member field of any widget, first remode the widget, add the member field and then configure provider action.
- From Configuration menu, select Screen Configuration.
- Select the field from the Available Fields section to get it in the Selected Field section if the field is not appearing in the Selected Field section.
- Click the field where you want to configure the provider action.
- Select Associate Action.
- From the menu, select the required provider action.
Select an icon to appear as the provider action button beside the selected field in the tickets. You cannot associate the provider action to a field without selecting this icon.
The provider action button cannot be inserted in the fields that appear in the header section of a ticket.
- Click Save.
The provider action icon appears at the specified field as a button. Users need to click the button to execute the provider action.
If you map the provider action with any specific field, the field is displayed in the Mapped to fields area:
Configuring a provider action for other ticket types
- Click Configuration > Screen Configuration.
- Click Add/Remove Actions from the Task View.
By default, the list of actions is alphabetically ordered. You can customize the ordering using the Custom Order option.
- Click Add Action.
- In Action Type section, click Provide Action.
- Select the options for Supported Platforms.
- Enter a name for the action in the Action Name field.
- In the Localized Labels to Show section, select languages that are supported and enter the Label Text for localization. The Label Text will be shown as a menu item in the More menu of an Incident.
- Click Save.
- To complete the provider action configuration, see Configuring and adding business logic of provider action in Remedy ITSM.
The More list
After configuration, all actions appear in the More list.
- When you configure actions for an individual view (for example, the Incident view), the More list is displayed on the incident ticket profile.
- When you open an asset, the action configured for that asset is seen in the More list.
- When you configure asset actions, the action is included in the Asset Action list on the Asset console.
- The provider action does not appear under the More list if it is configured for a specific field. It appears under the More list if the provider action is removed from the specific field.
Click the following link to view a quick video on configuring actions.
Watch this short video about configuring Client-side URL actions for easy access from the Smart IT interface:
Watch this short video about configuring Provider actions (except change and incident ticket)