Performing the Smart IT upgrade
Before you begin
- Complete the steps described in Preparing for upgrade.
- Ensure that you have upgraded to BMC Remedy IT Service Management 19.08.
- Installed Smart IT and Digital Workplace on separate Apache Tomcat servers.
The installer will upgrade only Smart IT. If you are using BMC Digital Workplace and Smart IT, you must upgrade BMC Digital Workplace first before upgrading Smart IT.
To upgrade Smart IT on a single server
- Extract the Smart IT installer (for example, SmartITVV.VV.VV.Windows.zip or SmartITVV.VV.VV.Linux.tar.gz where VV.VV.VV and V.V.V indicate the version numbers of Smart IT).
- Navigate to the Disk 1 folder.
- Start the installer:
- For Windows, run setup.exe.
For UNIX, run setup.bin.
- On the Welcome panel, click Next.
- Review the license agreement, click I agree to the terms of license agreement, and then click Next.
- Enter the values from the
After you have entered the required information, the installer validates your input.
If you are upgrading from any version lower than 18.05, then the installer deploys the file systems in a new directory in the same way it does for a fresh installation. If you are upgrading any version starting from 18.05, then the existing file system gets upgraded with the latest version, as the normal upgrade procedure. .
- (Optional) Back up the following databases before performing an upgrade in your production environment:
- Remedy with Smart IT database
- BMC Remedy AR System database
BMC recommends that you back up the databases in case you experience upgrade errors related to database schemas or AR System workflow. If the upgrade fails, you can use the backups to restore the databases and resume the upgrade from the last successful step.
- Click Next.
- Enter a new destination directory name to store the file system of Smart IT 19.08.
If you do not enter a new directory name, an error occurs and installation will not progress further until you provide a different directory name. Ensure that the directory name is different than the previous directory name. For example, if your previous directory name was Smart_IT_MyIT, provide a new directory name, such as SmartIT.
- In the Smart IT Database Information panel, select the option to create new schemas, enter the schema names, and database administrator credentials and click Next.
Starting with Smart IT version 18.05, the Smart IT and Digital Workplace installers are separated. Therefore, in steps 9 to 11, you must provide new destination directory name and Smart IT system and business schema names to avoid errors. If you are upgrading from 18.05 to 19.08, then the steps 9 to 11 are not applicable.
- In the Installation Preview panel, review and, if needed, correct the installation details and click Install.
After post-installation, a summary of the installation appears.
- From the installation summary, review the information and any instructions or errors.
For example, if a database failed, you can recover and run the upgrade again from the backup of your database by performing the recovery steps:
- Restore the database by using the backup created in step 7.
- View the installation log files to find and correct the cause of failure.
For example, review any SEVERE error messages or warnings in the product installer log. See whether errors are due to network, host, or other environment-related issues. You can view a log file of the installation:
- (Windows) C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\smartit_install_log.txt
- (UNIX or Linux) /tmp/smartit_install_log.txt
- Run the installer again.
The upgrade will resume from the last successful step.
- Click Done to exit the installer.
To upgrade Smart IT in a server group
After you have upgraded at least one server, you can upgrade additional servers in the server group, either separately or in parallel, by following the steps in To upgrade Smart IT on a single server.
After the upgrade is complete, perform the following tasks:
Run the migration utilities
- Run the Mongo migration utility in an incremental mode to migrate remaining social data.
- Run the Customization and configuration utility and migrate your data to Centralized configuration. This step is required as you need to migrate your existing configuration data from the previous versions of Smart IT to the latest version of Smart IT.
- If you had selected the Remove leading zeroes option during installation of the previous version of Smart IT, run the utility to remove leading zeroes from a ticket ID.
- If you are not perfoming an in-place upgrade, run the data migration utility to copy data from old schemas to the new Smart IT schemas. Database changes in 1805 and 1808 due to new structure. That is why you must run the data migration utility to prevent data loss.
Stop and delete services
- Stop and delete the relevant service:
- (Windows) From the list of services, manually stop and delete MyITSocialService.
- (Linux) Run the following command at a command prompt:
service socialserviced stop
- Stop and delete the relevant MongoDB service:
- (Windows) From the list of services, manually stop and delete MongoDB.
- (Linux) Run the following command at a command prompt:
service mongod stop
- From the pluginsvr_config.xml file, delete the SocialEventManager plug-in entry. The pluginsvr_config.xml file is available at the following path:
<C:\Program Files\BMC Software\ARSystem\pluginsvr\pluginsvr_config.xml>
Verify the Activity feeds
Verify the Activity feeds from the respective worklog forms and from the SMT:Social_Events form.
Add content security policy (CSP) property to whitelist Whatfix
BMC uses a third-party tool called Whatfix, which must be whitelisted in the content security policy (CSP) property for the Whatfix content to be displayed. If you are upgrading from an earlier version of Smart IT, a new content security policy (CSP) property must be added to allow the Whatfix content to be loaded in Smart IT. For information on how to add a CSP property, see Configuring the embedded self-help.