Process of adding custom fields to your views using Smart IT
As an administrator, you can add custom fields to Smart IT views is as follows:
- In BMC Remedy Developer Studio in Best Practice Customization mode (the default), add the custom fields to the BMC Remedy ITSM forms and update the applicable filters.
- In Smart IT, use the Screen configuration to add the fields to applicable views.
You can specify the area in which the field should appear. For example, you can add a custom field to the Assignment area of the Incident View. The custom field then appears in incident ticket details, with the assignment information. If you add custom fields to the Person Profile, those fields also appear in the customer information displayed in the Smart Recorder. You can also specify whether the field is read-only.
You can add any number of fields to a section, with the exception of the header section, where you can add up to 5 fields.
In Smart IT, the visibility of custom fields when creating and editing tickets depend on the field access given to custom fields in BMC Remedy IT Service Management. You may set one of the following field access:
- Read/Write - Custom fields with Read/Write field access are displayed when creating or editing a ticket. You can input values when creating and editing the ticket.
Read Only - Custom fields with Read Only field access are not displayed when creating a ticket. Though they are displayed when editing the ticket, they remain disabled. You cannot edit them.
Out-of-the-box BMC Remedy ITSM fields are displayed in view mode even if the fields are blank. Custom fields are displayed only when values are present and are hidden in view mode if the fields are blank.
Videos about customizing fields in Smart IT
View the following videos for additional information and procedures. The screens of the following videos refer to the earlier versions of Smart IT.
|Enabling fields for customization|
|Creating a group of customization fields|
When you add a field to a group, all its dependent fields should also be added in the Screen Configuration.
|Identifying and implementing required workflows|
Types of fields that can be added to Smart IT views
|Fields that can be added||Fields that cannot be displayed|
Procedures for adding fields to specific Smart IT views
The following topics provide procedures with additional details:
- Adding custom fields to the Asset View
- Adding custom fields to the Change view
- Adding custom fields to the Incident view
- Adding custom fields to the Known Error view
- Adding custom fields to the Person Profile view
- Adding custom fields to the Problem Investigation view
- Adding custom fields to the Task view
- Adding custom fields to the Work Order view