Working with broadcasts in Smart IT
Remedy with Smart IT offers the ability to send notifications to specific groups that have been predefined in the system. These notifications are delivered immediately to the mobile device of the targeted users and can communicate emergency or general information, with web links that provide more information to the end user.
You can send broadcasts to a company or location (site) to which you have access. For example, you can send a broadcast to users at a certain campus location and building that is supported by your group, to notify them of maintenance work.
The broadcast message can be up to 1000 characters long and can include an attachment. You can specify the type of broadcast, for example, whether the broadcast contains general information, or information about a scheduled or unscheduled outage (unavailability). You can also link the broadcast to an existing ticket. The broadcast will be active during the start and end time that you specify.
Support agent can create broadcast from Smart IT client applications only if he has access permission as broadcast submitter. For BMC Remedy ITSM 9.0.01 and later versions, you must have the Broadcast Submitter functional role to send a broadcast in Smart IT. You cannot modify a broadcast that is created in Smart IT. There are some restrictions on where broadcast messages are received. See 'Where are broadcasts received?' section for more information. The Push notification does not appear as broadcast and it appears as update feed on dashboard.
Setting up broadcasts
Use the instructions in this section when you need to send out a broadcast message.
To set up a broadcast
- Log on to Smart IT from any client.
- Create a new broadcast. For example, choose Create New > Broadcast in the universal client.
The Create Broadcast pane is displayed.
- Fill in the appropriate information, such as the target audience (company or location), message text, and broadcast start and end dates.
- Save the broadcast.
If the Broadcast Start date and time are current as suggested by the default value, the broadcast will be sent as soon as you save it.
Where are broadcasts received?
In BMC Remedy IT Service Management (BMC Remedy ITSM) you can create and access broadcast from the following consoles. You can access and view them even with minimum permissions:
- Incident Management Console
- Asset Management Console
- Problem Management Console
- Change Management Console
- Knowledge Management Console
- Work Order Management Console
- Service Request Entry Console
Except the Service Request Entry Console, the rest of the consoles listed above display both the public and internal broadcasts in details. The Service Request Entry Console displays only public broadcast messages, and you can only preview them.
Smart IT users, even with minimum permissions, can view both the internal and public broadcasts sent and received in Smart IT.
Important considerations about broadcasts in BMC Remedy ITSM, Digital Workplace, and Smart IT.
BMC Remedy ITSM
- Broadcasts created in BMC Remedy ITSM are restricted to the site or company for which they are created.
- Broadcasts created in BMC Remedy ITSM are visible in BMC Digital Workplace.
- Broadcasts created in BMC Remedy ITSM are visible to Smart IT users for the company or site, as applicable.
- If a broadcast is created in Smart IT, all of the company's users can see this broadcast in their News Feed section of BMC Digital Workplace.
Smart IT displays broadcast from CFG:Broadcast form. If Digital Workplace creates broadcasts on CFG:Broadcast form, that is displayed on Smart IT.
- Broadcasts created in Smart IT are restricted for the site or company for which they are created.
The following table is based on a scenario, and will help you understand broadcasts better. Here, a fictitious company, Calbro Services has Smart IT, Digital Workplace, and BMC Remedy ITSM users. Calbro Services has offices located in Santa Clara and Vancouver. The table shows where broadcasts are received, based on where the broadcast is sent from.
|Broadcast sent from||Broadcast received at|
|BMC Remedy ITSM users (Santa Clara)||BMC Remedy ITSM users (Vancouver)||Digital Workplace users (Santa Clara)||Digital Workplace users (Vancouver)||Smart IT users (Santa Clara)||Smart IT users (Vancouver)|
BMC Remedy ITSM
|BMC Remedy ITSM (Vancouver)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|