Transfering Smart IT customizations and definitions between servers
As an administrator, you can package and transfer Smart IT screen configuration customizations and screen level action information from a source computer to a destination computer by using BMC Remedy Deployment Application. For example, you can configure Smart IT screens and screen level actions, like Provider Action, on your test computer and then transfer the configuration data to a production computer. You can transfer customizations and definitions only between servers that are running the same version of the product.
Before you begin
Make sure that the BMC SmartIT_MyIT File Deployer service is running on both the source and target servers. If Java was updated on the server, the deployment application might be stopped. You can run a batch file to restart the service.The filedeployer folder is located in <installationDirectory>/Smart_IT_MyIT. For more information, see Smart IT troubleshooting.
Only an Administrator or a Package Creator with AR System Administrator permission can create a package with Smart IT objects.
Transferable Smart IT customizations and definitions
You can transfer all the Smart IT customizations and definitions can be transferred between servers except for the following data:
- Global Menu add/remove items under the Configuration screen
- Field group information
- Ticket Console customization
For the following areas, you must transfer data in a specific sequence:
- To import Provider Action information, first import Provider Action Template , complete the process, and then execute the same process again by selecting Provider Action .
- To import custom field information, you must import the corresponding ITSM field first.
For more information about provider actions, see Configuring provider actions in Smart IT.
To define a package on a source server
- From the Mid Tier, in the AR System Management Console and click Create from the Manage Package tab in the navigation pane.
The Deployment Package Information form is displayed.
In the Deployment Package Information form, enter or select the appropriate data for the following fields:
Package Name —The unique name by which you want to create the package.
Package Version —The unique version number for the package.
Package Details —A detailed description of the package.
Notification Email — Email address to receive email notifications about the status of your package. You can configure single or multiple email IDs (separated by semi colon), or an email distribution list.
State —The current status of the package.
Status —The details describing the build status.
Status Reason —The reason describing the current status of the package.
In the Deployment Package Contents panel, select Content Type > SmarIT Definition.
- Enter the Content Description.
Select the specific Object Type that you want to export.
For example, select Screen with Contents to export screen configuration information.
- If you select Provider Action from the Object Type menu, the Incident Create and Change create screen options appear in the search result, but these options are not applicable for Provider Actions.
- Currently, Smart IT displays all modified Panels in the Panel list, instead of displaying the panels related to the selected Object Type.
- Select an appropriate option from the Overlay Type field.
- Click Add.
The FND:SmartIT Layout Object Search Dialog box is displayed. When you export field information, the field ID is displayed in the Name column of this dialog box.
- Select the screen for which you want to export the configuration information.
To export the information of specific fields, you must select the screen and the panel where the fields appear.
- Click Add, and then click Save.
The package is saved and ready to be exported.
- (Optional) If you are transferring data in addition to Smart IT definitions, add the additional data to the package before you export it.
- In AR System Deployment Management Console, select the package that you just saved.
- Click Transfer Package > Export.
- Save the package on your local machine.
To import a package on a target server
- From the Mid Tier, on the target server, open AR System Deployment Management Console.
- Select Transfer Package > Import.
- In the pop-up window, select Browse and navigate to the folder from where you want to import the package.
- Select the package that you want to import and click OK.
Troubleshooting transfer issues
If you get an error message while creating your first package, refresh the information and create another package.
If you get an error when you import the package, you can rollback the package as described in .
For additional troubleshooting information, see
- MultiExcerpt named 'Troubleshooting the BMC Remedy Deployment Application' was not found