Configuring ticket priority for incident management
As an administrator, you can adjust how ticket priority is calculated for incident tickets.
Incident priority and weight ranges
When configuring Remedy Service Desk, the system administrator assigns numerical weights to each Impact category and each Urgency level.
When the person creating the incident ticket selects the Impact and the Urgency level for an incident, Incident Management adds the numerical weights together to calculate the Priority, such as Critical.
For example, consider the following system, which is configured as described below:
- The Impact category of Significant / Large is configured with a weight value of 5.
- The Impact category of Minor / Localized is configured with a weight value 1.
- The Urgency level of "Critical" is configured with a weight value of 20.
- The Priority of "Critical" is assigned to any combination of Impact and Urgency that equals 25.
In this system, any time that an incident ticket is created with an Impact of Significant / Large and an Urgency of Critical, the system automatically assigns the Priority of Critical, because the combined weight of Impact and Urgency equals 25. If, however, an incident ticket is created with an Impact of Minor / Localized and an Urgency of Critical, the Priority is not set to Critical, because the combined value of Impact and Urgency is 21. In this case, the Priority assigned to the incident depends on how the administrator configured the system to assign a Priority based on a calculated value of 21.
To configure incident priority and weight ranges
- From Mid Tier, open the Application Administration Console, and click the Custom Configuration tab.
- To adjust the weight ranges that correspond to each priority, from the Application Settings list, choose Incident Management > Advanced Options > Priority and Weight Ranges - Weight Ranges, and then click Open.
Each weight range corresponds to a descriptive priority, such as Critical.
- To adjust the formula for incident priority, from the Application Settings list, choose Incident Management > Advanced Options > Priority and Weight Ranges - Prioritization, and then click Open.
You can adjust how impact and urgency contribute to priority.