Configuring risk assessment
Risk assessment involves computing the total risk of making a change based on risk-related questions and the derived risk. The derived risk can be based on historical performance and the impact or priority of a change or CI. The higher the risk on a change request, the more time you should take to consider the impact of the purposed change and whether to proceed.
This topic provides a summary of how to configure risk assessment. For a more detailed explanation, see in the BMC Change Management documentation.
To configure risk factor questions
When you create risk factor questions, include all the questions that your company needs answered to complete a change request. These questions typically involve time, cost, number of people involved, and so on.
- From the Application Administration console, click the Custom Configuration tab.
- From the Application Settings list, choose Change Management > Risk Factors > Change Risk Selection, and then click Open.
- On the Risk Factors Configuration form, select the company.
- (Optional) Select the operational categorization.
- To create a new risk factor, click Add.
The Risk Factors Template form appears. Use this form to create a question, possible answers, display sequence, and weighted risks that are specific to your company policy as applicable to the selected operational categorization.
To configure derived risk factors
- Click the Derived Factors tab, and then click Add.
In the Risk Factor Type field on the Derived Risk Factors Template form, select a type from the following choices:
Risk factor Description Performance Indicator Derives risk based on performance of a manager or a group. The stored performance rating of specific entities is recorded. A performance indicator risk factor refers to ratings that are directly related to values specified on the change. Risk Object Derives risk from the related CI with the highest priority. This rating is derived from the related CIs, and not from values specified on the change.
- In the Risk Weight field, select the percentage weight.
- In the Field Name field, select the field on the Infrastructure Change form from which the risk factor is derived.
This information is calculated based on the historical performance of the changes that use these values.
- If you selected Performance Indicator, select Performance Rating from the Rating Field Name field.