Configuring provider actions in Smart IT
The provider action appears under the More menu after configuration. To execute a provider action, users click the provider action from the More menu. You can configure provider action for specific fields also. You can insert a provider action button that user can click at the specific field. While executing the provider action the related ticket opens in edit mode. In the Remedy Action Request System, you need to create a provider action template by using the SMT:SmartIT_Provider Action Template Configuration form. You can map the fields of Smart IT with the defined fields of Remedy Action Request System templates by configuring the inputs and outputs in Smart IT. In this form, you can select the source form for which you are calling the action, and define all the inputs and outputs fields that will appear in Smart IT. This defined and enabled template appears in the suggestion list when you start typing in the Template Name field in Smart IT. Smart IT receives information from this defined source form while it is executing the provider action. For more details, see the configuration description of SMT:SmartIT_Provider Action Template Configuration form in this topic.
You can configure provider action for a specific field by using a template on Change, Incident, Work Order and Task tickets.
Provider actions are configurable workflow actions based on AR System filter objects. The event is triggered in Smart IT and processing is done at the backend. Smart IT sends the events to AR System server to do the necessary processing in ITSM workflow. In Smart IT 18.08 and onward versions, you can configure provider action by using expression for the incident tickets. For more information, see To configure automatic provider actions based on logical conditions section.
After configuration, all actions appear in the More list.
- When you configure actions for an individual view (for example, the Incident view), the More list is displayed on the incident ticket profile.
- When you open an asset, the action configured for that asset is seen in the More list.
- When you configure asset actions, the action is included in the Asset Action list on the Asset console.
- The provider action does not appear under the More list if it is configured for a specific field. It appears under the More list if the provider action is removed from the specific field.
To configure provider actions in Smart IT
- Click Configuration > Screen Configuration.
- Click Add/Remove Actions from the specific view.
For example, to configure a provider action for a Problem Investigation, click Add/Remove Actions of the Problem Investigation.
By default, the list of actions is alphabetically ordered. You can customize the ordering using the Custom Order option.
- Click Add Action.
- In Action Type section, click Provide Action.
- Select the options for Supported Platforms.
- Enter a name for the action in the Action Name field.
- In the Localized Labels to Show section, select languages that are supported and enter the Label Text for localization. The Label Text will be shown as a menu item in the More menu of an Incident.
- Click Save.
- To complete the provider action configuration, see To configure and add business logic of provider actions in IT Service Management section.
To configure and add business logic of provider actions in IT Service Management
To complete the provider action configuration, you need to associate the Remedy Action Request System forms in the Developer Studio.
- In the Developer Studio, select the related server and log in.
The server name is displayed in the AR System Navigator tab.
- Click All Objects.
- Right-click Filters and click New Filter.
- In the Associated Form section, click Add.
- In the Filtering option dialog box, type the form name in the Name field.
For example, CHG:Infrastructure Change.
- Select the form and click OK.
- Under Execution section, select the Service check box.
- (Optional) In Run if qualification, build a query with the action name and the Action name=attributes.
- Click OK.
- In the If action pane, right-click Add Action, and select the appropriate option and complete the steps based on the added action.
For example, if you select Set Field action, you can set the fields and the corresponding values in the Set Fields section. You can set the values from the available Selection Values or from any field.
- Provide a filter name and click OK.
The provider action is set. You can open a ticket in Smart IT and from the More menu, you can execute the provider action. You can also configure this provider action at a specific field. For details, see To configuring provider action for a specific field section.
To configure automatic provider actions based on logical conditions
In addition to configuring provider actions which are triggered by the direct action of the user, as a Smart IT administrator, you can configure provider actions on incident tickets which are executed dynamically based on logical conditions. As a Smart IT administrator, you can configure provider action by using expression for Incident tickets in edit mode. If the information provided or modified by the Smart IT users in the ticket meet the condition that is configured by the Smart IT administrator, the provider action is executed and the following message is displayed:
|Universal client||Android / iOS application|
Provider actions with expressions can be configured in the Universal Client (UC), and users can execute it in the UC as well as in the Android or iOS Smart IT applications.
Follow these tasks to configure the provider action:
- To configure a template for provider actions.
- To configure provider actions in Smart IT.
- To configure and add business logic of provider actions in IT Service Management.
You should check the arfilter.log to ensure that the back end filter is executed. The arfilter.log is available in the database folder under the AR Server installation directory (<AR System install directory/db/>). In addition, you can check the Console log to see the fields that have changed while executing the provider action.
Before configuring the provider action by using expression, you need to define the expressions at the field level. For more information about expression, see Dynamic expressions for configuration.
To configure a template for provider actions
You can create the provider action template by using the SMT:SmartIT_Provider Action Template Configuration form in Remedy ITSM.
- Open the form.
- Click New.
- In the Provider Action Template Name field enter the name of the template.
- Click the drop down list of the Source Form field and select the form.
For example, for a change ticket, select CHG:Infrastructure Change.
- Select the ticket type from Data Source field as per your requirement.
Enter the View Id of the specific view. The fields in the User Prompt appears based on the View ID.
You can check the view Id from the Basic properties in Developers studio.
For example, for Best Practice View, the View ID is 399990344.
Adding a field to the multiple views
You can add a field to the multiple views. For more information see Adding a field to the multiple views section in the Adding custom fields to your views using Smart IT topic.
- Select Online radio button.
- For Input field, select Input from the Mapping Type drop down list.
- (Optional) Select Sequence.
This sequence is maintained in the Mapping Type panel in the template.
For example 1.
- From the Select SourceField drop-down list, select the source field.
After selection, the selected source field is displayed in the Source DB Field Name.
For example Description.
- Click Save.
After you click Save, the New Mapping button becomes active.
- Click New Mapping.
- Select Output in the Mapping Type and follow the same process for mapping.
For example, you map Environment as the Source Field.
- Click Save.
The input and output fields appear in Smart IT when you select the template in the Template Name field of Provider Action.
- As an administrator, if you modify the field mapping information of a Provider Action in the SMT:SmartIT_Provider Action Template Configuration form, you need to update the corresponding information in the Screen Configuration of Smart IT.
- Following fields are not supported: Diary, Binary Large Object (BLOB), Attachment, Status and Currency.
To configure provider actions by using a template in Smart IT
- Log in to Smart IT as an Administrator.
- From the Configuration menu, select Screen Configuration.
- Click Add/Remove Actions in the specific view (For example, Change View, Incident View).
By default, the provider actions that are already configured appear in alphabetical order in the Add/Remove Actions dialog box. You can click Custom Order and drag and move the provider action to configure the actions as per your preferred order.
- Click Add Action to configure a new provider action.
- Under Action Type, click Provider Action and provide any additional basic information.
For the Selected Platforms where the action will be displayed, select Desktop Web (UC), Mobile Platforms (iOS/Android), or both.
You can configure a provider action in Desktop Web (UC) and then make the action available in Mobile Platforms (iOS/Android).
- In the Template Name field, start typing the Remedy Action Request System template name, and select from the suggested list. This template is used to map the Remedy Action Request System template with Smart IT.
Under the I/O Mapping section, select Available Mode to configure a provider action for a specific field.
Select View to have the provider action button of a specific field appear in the view mode of the ticket.
Select Edit or Both to have the provider action button for a specific field appear in either of those modes in the ticket view.
If you are configuring provider action for incident ticket by using expression, Smart IT executes the Edit mode only.
For more information on configuring provider action at a specific field, see To configure provider action for a specific field section.
Under the Input Mapping area, perform the following actions for the input mapping fields:
Select From Ticket and type and select a specific field of the Smart IT ticket to execute the value of the field.
Select User Prompt, if users need to execute the provider action based on a specific information.
Select Default Value, type and set a default value.
- You can insert text and number as User Prompt. For UC, Date/Time, Selection list and enumerated values are not supported in User Prompt. Enumerated values and Date/Time are also not supported in Default Value.
- In case you select User Prompt option, you need to select the Synchronous Action. The Complete Action Fields box appears while executing the provider action from a ticket after configuring provider action successfully:
- Select the Synchronous Action check box.
The provider action is synchronized and the Smart IT screen does not change until the execution is completed. If you don't select this check box, the action becomes Asynchronous and the provider action is executed at the background and don't refresh the data on screen. For Asynchronous actions, you must refresh the ticket after the action completes to see the updates.
- For Incident tickets, if you want to configure provider action by using expression, select Execute On.
The On Field Value Change field appears. Start typing the expression that you want to configure and select the expression.
To know more about expressions, see Dynamic expressions for configuration.
- Under Localized Labels to Show, select a supported language and add a label for the action. The label text is displayed under the More menu.
- If you map the provider action with any specific field, the field is displayed in the Mapped to fields area. For more information on configuring provider action at a field, see To configure provider action for a specific field section.
- Click Save to configure actions.
To complete the provider action configuration, see To configure and add business logic of provider actions in IT Service Management section.
To configuring provider action for a specific field
The provider action at the field is indicated by a button. Users can click this button to execute the provider action.
Currently, configuring provider actions for widget objects is not supported. To add a provider action in the member field of any widget, first remove the widget, add the member field, and then configure provider action.
- From Configuration menu, select Screen Configuration.
- Select the field from the Available Fields section to get it in the Selected Field section if the field is not appearing in the Selected Field section.
- Click the field where you want to configure the provider action.
- Select Associate Action.
- From the menu, select the required provider action.
Select an icon to appear as the provider action button beside the selected field in the tickets. You cannot associate the provider action to a field without selecting this icon.
The provider action icon appears at the specified field as a button. Users need to click the button to execute the provider action.
If you map the provider action with any specific field, the field is displayed in the Mapped to fields area.