Changing ticket Impact and Urgency, or Priority in Smart IT
If the impact or urgency of a ticket changes, for example, if you discover that the ticket affects fewer users than originally understood, or if an SLA is in danger of being breached, the corresponding Priority value should also change.
Before you begin
For the Priority value to align with the needs of your organization, administrators must configure the incident priority and weight ranges.
To change the Priority
- From ticket details, open the priority for editing:
- (Universal client) Click the pencil icon.
- (Android devices) Tap the menu (three dots symbol), and then tap Edit.
- (iOS devices) Tap Actions, and then tap Edit.
- Select a new value for impact or urgency, or both.
- Click or tap Save.
In Smart IT, you cannot change the impact or urgency of a service request after it is submitted.
Ticket priority in Incident Management
The Impact and Urgency combine to affect the Priority in Incident Management.
When configuring BMC Service Desk, the system administrator assigns numerical weights to each Impact category and each Urgency level.
When the person creating the incident ticket selects the Impact and the Urgency level for an incident, Incident Management adds the numerical weights together to calculate the Priority, such as Critical.
For example, consider the following system, which is configured as described below:
- The Impact category of Significant / Large is configured with a weight value of 5.
- The Impact category of Minor / Localized is configured with a weight value 1.
- The Urgency level of "Critical" is configured with a weight value of 20.
- The Priority of "Critical" is assigned to any combination of Impact and Urgency that equals 25.
In this system, any time that an incident ticket is created with an Impact of Significant / Large and an Urgency of Critical, the system automatically assigns the Priority of Critical, because the combined weight of Impact and Urgency equals 25. If, however, an incident ticket is created with an Impact of Minor / Localized and an Urgency of Critical, the Priority is not set to Critical, because the combined value of Impact and Urgency is 21. In this case, the Priority assigned to the incident depends on how the administrator configured the system to assign a Priority based on a calculated value of 21.