Working with broadcasts in Smart IT
Remedy with Smart IT offers the ability to send notifications to specific groups that have been predefined in the system. These notifications are delivered immediately to the mobile device of the targeted users and can communicate emergency or general information, with web links that provide more information to the end user.
You can send broadcasts to a company or location (site) to which you have access. For example, you can send a broadcast to users at a certain campus location and building that is supported by your group, to notify them of maintenance work.
The broadcast message can be up to 1000 characters long and can include an attachment. You can specify the type of broadcast, for example, whether the broadcast contains general information, or information about a scheduled or unscheduled outage (unavailability). You can also link the broadcast to an existing ticket. The broadcast will be active during the start and end time that you specify.
- For BMC Remedy ITSM 9.0.01 and later versions, you must have the Broadcast Submitter functional role to send a broadcast in Smart IT.
- You cannot modify a broadcast that is created in Smart IT.
- There are some restrictions on where broadcast messages are received. See Where are broadcasts received? for more information.
- The Push notification does not appear as broadcast and it appears as update feed on dashboard.
This topic provides the following information:
Setting up broadcasts
Use the instructions in this section when you need to send out a broadcast message.
To set up a broadcast
- Log on to Smart IT from any client.
- Create a new broadcast. For example, choose Create New > Broadcast in the universal client.
The Create Broadcast pane is displayed.
- Fill in the appropriate information, such as the target audience (company or location), message text, and broadcast start and end dates.
- Save the broadcast.
If the Broadcast Start date and time are current as suggested by the default value, the broadcast will be sent as soon as you save it.
Where are broadcasts received?
In BMC Remedy IT Service Management (BMC Remedy ITSM) you can create and access broadcast from the following consoles. You can access and view them even with minimum permissions:
- Incident Management Console
- Asset Management Console
- Problem Management Console
- Change Management Console
- Knowledge Management Console
- Work Order Management Console
- Service Request Entry Console
Except the Service Request Entry Console, the rest of the consoles listed above display both the public and internal broadcasts in details. The Service Request Entry Console displays only public broadcast messages, and you can only preview them.
Smart IT users, even with minimum permissions, can view both the internal and public broadcasts sent and received in Smart IT.
Important considerations about broadcasts in BMC Remedy ITSM and Smart IT.
BMC Remedy ITSM
- Broadcast sent from BMC Remedy ITSM does not have any location restrictions. It is sent to all locations where there are BMC Remedy ITSM users.
- Broadcasts cannot be sent from BMC Remedy ITSM to Digital Workplace.
- For Broadcasts sent from BMC Remedy ITSM to Smart IT, only those Smart IT users who belong to the same location from where the broadcast is sent shall get the broadcasts.
- Broadcasts cannot be sent from Smart IT to Digital Workplace.
- For broadcasts sent from Smart IT to BMC Remedy ITSM, there is no location restriction. It is sent to all locations where there are BMC Remedy ITSM users.
The following table is based on a scenario, and will help you understand broadcasts better. Here, a fictitious company, Calbro Services has Smart IT, Digital Workplace, and BMC Remedy ITSM users. Calbro Services has offices located in Santa Clara and Vancouver. The table shows where broadcasts are received, based on where the broadcast is sent from.
|Broadcast sent from||Broadcast received at|
|BMC Remedy ITSM users (Santa Clara)||BMC Remedy ITSM users (Vancouver)||Digital Workplace users (Santa Clara)||Digital Workplace users (Vancouver)||Smart IT users (Santa Clara)||Smart IT users (Vancouver)|
BMC Remedy ITSM
|BMC Remedy ITSM (Vancouver)||Yes||Yes||No||No||No||Yes|