Performing the Smart IT installation
This topic provides an overview of how to perform the Smart IT installation.
Before you begin
Complete the steps in Preparing for installation of Smart IT.
- Ensure that you have:
- If using an Oracle database for your installation, verify that USERS and TEMP tablespaces exist. If not, you must create these tablespaces. The installer creates the user schemas that reference these two tablespaces as the default.
To run SmartIT server on UNIX machine, set the DISPLAY environment variable to empty string. You can set it from the terminal by using the following command:
You may receive the following error if you set any value after the = sign in the above variable:
NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment
Could not initialize class sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment
Consider the following before you proceed with the installation:
- If your BMC Remedy IT Service Management (BMC Remedy ITSM) environment is non-Unicode, do not import the BMC Remedy Service Request Management definition files using the installer. Instead, import the definition files manually after installing Smart IT and the BMC Remedy ITSM patches.
- To protect data, use HTTPS to communicate to the Remedy with Smart IT (Smart IT) server. You can do so either through a load balancer or reverse proxy,or by enabling HTTPS on the Smart IT server.
Consider the following best practices:
- Use a separate database schema for Smart IT and BMC Digital Workplace.
- Install Smart IT and Digital Workplace on separate Apache Tomcat servers.
To perform the installation
|1||Installs Smart IT on a single server.|
|Silent installation reads the parameters provided in the |
|2||Resolve issues indicated by the installer, if any.|
The installer performs the following pre-install checks before proceeding with the installation:
Installation does not proceed if the pre-install check detects inconsistencies in the required components.
|3||Perform these checks to verify your installation.|
|4||Apply 18.05.005: Patch 5 for version 18.05||Apply this patch for a proper user experience of Smart IT.|
To troubleshoot the installation
The Smart IT installer and the Smart IT server produce several logs that you can use for troubleshooting. To view the log files, you can use the MaintenanceTool in the SmartIT_HOME directory. For more information about the log files, see Working with logs. For information about troubleshooting, see Troubleshooting installation.
|Type of log||Location|
|Smart IT application server||TOMCAT_HOME/logs|
|Smart IT logs for definition files and location||<Installed Folder>\Smart_IT\Log|