Enabling accessibility in Smart IT
The Smart IT universal client includes an Accessibility View that allows the use of supported screen reading software with compatible browsers. The Accessibility View enables enhanced keyboard access, such as the ability to skim through content, or to drill-down into a specific element (row) of a console, by using the keyboard.
The Accessibility View can be enabled from the login screen or from the menu bar after logging in. This preference is saved in browser cache, so it stays enabled until the user clears it, or until the cache is cleared. The user must also enable (or disable) the preference again if a different browser or computer is used to access Smart IT.
BMC worked with an independent company to formally assess support for Section 508 and Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 in Remedy with Smart IT version 1.0.01. For information about the results of this assessment, contact your BMC representative.
- Accessibility is not supported in mobile clients.
- For information about supported screen readers and browsers, see the Remedy with Smart IT 1 6 Compatibility.
This short video demonstrates how Allen, a blind Service Desk agent, works with Smart IT tickets.
Accessible areas of the UI
Accessibility is supported in the following areas:
- Consoles (including filtering tickets and knowledge articles, and adding and sorting columns)
- Create New options (for creating new tickets and broadcasts)
- Dashboard (except for charts)
- Ticket details (including SLA milestones, chat, and email functionality)
- Smart Recorder
Maps are not accessible by screen readers, and they cannot be enlarged. Accessible users cannot use any of the functionality on the Configuration tab, such as adding custom fields.
To enable accessibility from the login screen (recommended)
- In the universal client log in screen, enter your user ID in the User Name field and press Tab.
- In the Password field, enter your password.
- Tab twice to set focus to the Use Accessibility Mode check box, and press the space bar to select it.
- Press Enter to log in.
To enable accessibility from the universal client menu bar
- In the universal client, tab to your profile icon at the top of the screen and press Enter.
- From the menu, arrow down to Accessibility View and press Enter.
When you are using Smart IT in the Accessibility mode, and when JAWS (screen reader application) is running, you might experience incorrect behavior such as:
- On any ticket type after you specify the date, you cannot access time by pressing
ENTERonce. You must press the
ENTERkey twice to access time.
- On any ticket type the
Downarrow keys that are used to select time do not function as expected. If you press the arrow keys multiple times, the system does not select the revised time, and the focus is lost from time selection. Instead of using the
Downarrow keys, use the number keys to insert the required time.
- When creating change requests, after you select a template, instead of a single press you have to press the
Tabkey twice to select the Continue button.