Smart IT benchmark summary
A series of mixed workload tests (online plus batch) were conducted to determine the performance and scalability of BMC Remedy with Smart IT. The following product versions were used in the tests:
- BMC Remedy with Smart IT 1.5
- BMC MyIT 3.2
- BMC Remedy IT Service Management Suite 9.1
The Micro Focus Silk Performer product was used as the load driver to simulate concurrent online users. Each concurrent user submitted transactions based on industry-standard transaction rates for each business process. A multithreaded Java application (developed internally by BMC) generated the BMC Atrium CMDB configuration items (CIs).
A concurrent user is a user who executes a specified number of business transactions per hour. See the tables in Smart IT test methodology for a description of the test use cases, including the number of transactions per hour tested for a concurrent user.
The performance benchmark simulates real-world user behavior for users of Smart IT, BMC MyIT, and the BMC Remedy IT Service Management (ITSM) Suite. This test simulated a small customer model of up to 400 concurrent users per BMC Remedy Action Request (AR) System tenant, for a total of 2000 concurrent users for five tenants. Roughly 80% of the users executed Smart IT and BMC MyIT transactions, while the remaining 20% executed legacy BMC Remedy ITSM transactions.
The key characteristics of the test results are as follows:
- Overall response times are shown in the following graphic. Google Chrome browser offers the best response time performance.
- The Smart IT 1.5 release is comparable to Smart IT 1.4 release. Both Smart IT 1.4 and 1.5 are more scalable compared to previous Smart IT releases. Smart IT releases demonstrate better scalability if deployed with BMC Remedy AR System 9.1 due to Full Text Search (FTS) enhancements.
- Smart IT functionality relies on FTS searching. This has an impact on AR System server capacity that should be accounted for when sizing hardware for your environment. For complete hardware details, see the "Smart IT test environment" topic, and for sizing details, see the "Smart IT test results" topic, both listed in Related topics.