This documentation supports the 1.4 version of Remedy with Smart IT.

To view the latest version, select the version from the Product version menu.

Smart IT test methodology

This topic provides the following information:

Test case

End-user response times were captured for key actions in a test case that simulated a tenant with a workload of 400 concurrent users at 100 ms latency.

The following table lists key actions for which end-user response time was captured:

ApplicationActions
BMC Remedy with Smart IT
  • Log in 
  • Open console
  • View incident
  • Add incident note
  • Update incident to status Resolved
  • View service request
  • View customer profile
  • Search problem summary suggestions
  • Create service request
  • Search asset
  • View asset details
  • Search knowledge article
  • View change
  • Update change status to Pending
  • Create change task
  • Search by work order filtering
  • View work order details
  • Add work order note
  • Update work order to status Completed
  • Search customer through Smart Recorder
  • Create incident
  • Search by change filtering
  • Approve change
  • Open asset console
BMC MyIT
  • Log in
  • Create a post
  • View location map
  • Create incident

Workload

For test cases that required a workload simulation, a mixed workload was added to the system to simulate a common workload scenario for Smart IT 1.4 customers. The mix consisted of workloads from the following products and features:

  • Smart IT
  • BMC MyIT
  • BMC Remedy ITSM
  • BMC Email Engine (from Smart IT, BMC MyIT, and BMC Remedy ITSM workloads)
  • BMC Atrium CMDB batch jobs, Normalization Engine, and Reconciliation Engine

The nominal workload environment was defined by the distribution of concurrent users and transaction rates among the test scenarios. This workload was used as the baseline for consistent benchmarking of the performance and scalability of the BMC Remedy solutions over time.

The workload from BMC Atrium CMDB batch jobs was executed during a 1-hour simulation. The BMC Atrium CMDB batch jobs created configuration items (CIs) that were normalized, reconciled, and merged into a BMC.Asset dataset.

Nominal BMC Remedy Application workload distribution

The workload was split for Smart IT, BMC MyIT, and BMC Remedy ITSM applications. Roughly 95% of the user workload was for Smart IT and BMC MyIT; the remaining 5% was for BMC Remedy ITSM. Roughly 80% of the transaction workload was for Smart IT and BMC MyIT, and the remaining 20% was for BMC Remedy ITSM. 

The following table describes the general transaction and user percentage breakdown by application type.

ApplicationTransaction percentageUser percentage
Smart IT universal client39%52%
Smart IT mobile client24%23%
BMC MyIT universal client20%23%
BMC Remedy ITSM17%2%

The workload was further split to distinguish from a universal client (a computer browser) and a mobile client (for example, a tablet). The details of this split are in the tables that follow.

The following table describes the workload split for Smart IT universal client:

 Table

Workload split for Smart IT universal client

Smart IT universal client scenario

Percentage of total concurrent users

Transaction rate (per user per hour)

Update Incident

8%

4

Update Work Order

8%

4

Create Service Request

3%

6

Update Task and Incident

5%

5

Create Incident3%8
Global Search for Asset and Knowledge Articles3%6
Create Broadcast1%6
Create Chat Conversation to Incident5%4
Update Change and Create Task4%4
Create Change3%4
Create and Update Knowledge Article2%4
Search Change by ID and View Full Details2%6
Update Change to Closure1%

11

View and Update Asset4%4
Bulk-update Asset0.3%3

The following table describes the workload split for Smart IT mobile client:

 Table

Workload split for Smart IT mobile client

Smart IT mobile client scenario

Percentage of total concurrent users

Transaction rate (per user per hour)

Update Incident

4%

6

Update Work Order

5%

6

Update Task and Incident

5%

6

Create Incident

1%

16

Global Search for Asset and Knowledge Articles2%6
Approve Change2%6
Update Change2%4
View and Update Asset2%6

The following table describes the workload split for BMC MyIT universal client:

 Table

Workload split for BMC MyIT universal client

BMC MyIT universal client scenario

Percentage of total concurrent users

Transaction rate (per user per hour)

Create Service Request

5%

4

Create Post

5%

5

Search Globally

3%

6

View Location1%6
Update a Service1%6
Create Incident3%6
View Unified Catalog5%6

The following table describes the workload split for BMC Remedy ITSM:

 Table

Workload split for BMC Remedy ITSM

BMC Remedy ITSM scenarios

Percentage of total concurrent users

Transaction rate (per user per hour)

Create Incident via Web Service

1%

51

Inbound Email Based Update of Incident

1%

36

The following tables list the projected number of executions after 1 hour for 400 users using Smart IT, BMC My IT, and BMC Remedy ITSM.

The following table describes the projected executions for Smart IT universal client:

 Table

Smart IT universal client projected executions

Smart IT universal client scenario

 Projected executions for 2000 total concurrent users for 5 tenants
Update Incident640
Update Work Order640
Create Service Request360 
Update Task and Incident500 
Create Incident480 
Global Search for Asset and Knowledge Articles360 
Create Broadcast120 
Create Chat Conversation to Incident400 
Update Change and Create Task320 
Create Change240 
Create and Update Knowledge Article160 
Search Change by ID and View Full Details240 
Update Change to Closure220 
View and Update Asset320
Bulk-update Asset15

The following table describes the projected executions for Smart IT mobile client:

 Table

Smart IT mobile client projected executions

Smart IT mobile client scenario

Projected executions for 2000 total concurrent users for 5 tenants 
Update Incident480 
Update Work Order600 
Update Task and Incident600 
Create Incident320 
Global Search for Asset and Knowledge Articles240 
Approve Change240 
Update Change160 
View and Update Asset240

The following table describes the projected executions for BMC MyIT universal client:

 Table

BMC MyIT universal client projected executions

BMC MyIT universal client scenario

Projected executions for 2000 total concurrent users for 5 tenants 
Create Service Request400 
Create Post500 
Search Globally360 
View Location120 
Update a Service120 
Create Incident360 
View Unified Catalog600

The following table describes the projected executions for BMC Remedy ITSM:

 Table

BMC Remedy ITSM projected executions

BMC Remedy ITSM scenario

Projected executions for 2000 total concurrent users for 5 tenants 
Create Incident via Web Service1020 
Inbound Email-Based Update of Incident720 

BMC Service Level Management and email notification workload distribution

Email notifications were sent in the following instances:

  • When an incident or a service request was created
  • When an incident, a work order, a task, or a knowledge article was updated

BMC Service Level Management targets were also triggered under similar conditions. The following table lists the number of email notifications generated and BMC Service Level Management targets matched for each created incident and service request, and for each updated incident, work order, and task. This workload was executed automatically on the BMC Remedy AR System server.

 Table

Email notification and BMC Service Level Management executions

Scenario

Email count per entry

BMC Service Level Management target count per entry

Create Incident from UC and Mobile

2 to 6

1

Update Incident from UC and Mobile

1 to 3

1

Create Service Request from UC and Mobile

3 to 5

1

Update Work Order from UC and Mobile41
Update Task and Incident from UC and Mobile111
Update Knowledge Article10

Create Change from Browser

1

0

CI normalization and reconciliation workload distribution

During the 1-hour simulation, 7,500 CIs were generated, normalized, and reconciled every 10 minutes. 10% of the CIs were newly created, while the other 90% were updated.

Simulating the workload of 2000 concurrent users

In this test, the following workloads were used:

  • Smart IT, BMC MyIT, and BMC Remedy ITSM
  • 7,500 CIs for the Normalization Engine and Reconciliation Engine

The results are displayed in the following table. Actual entries were created during a 2000 concurrent-user loads with 5 tenants.

 Table

2000 concurrent-user loads

Entry Type

Number of actual entries created or modified for 2000 total concurrent users (during entire hour)

Incidents created2923 
Service Requests created1049
Changes created426
Incidents modified2104 
Work Orders modified1198 
Outbound emails103656 
Inbound emails599 
CIs created3760 
CIs updated35,784 

Data volume

The following table summarizes the foundation data and application data inserted into the BMC Remedy AR System database of one tenant prior to starting the tests:

 Table

Data volume of BMC applications of one tenant

Application

Description

Number of entries

BMC Service Request Management

Application Object Template (AOT)

74

Process Definition Template (PDT)

91

Navigational Category

17

Levels

5

Service Request Definition (SRD)

273

Entitlement Rules

52

Matching Entitlement Rule per person

10

SRD for create Service Request with 6 questions mapped to 2 incident fields

1

SRD for create Service Request with 6 questions but no mapping

1

Existing service requests for volume

97,256

BMC Incident Management

Incidents

97,039

BMC Change Management

Change Requests

19,300

BMC Service Request Management - Work Orders

Work Orders

13,865

BMC Problem Management

Problems

10,000

BMC Atrium CMDB and Foundation

Companies

128

Site

300

Org

96

Support Groups

94

Total End Users

4,102

Total Support Users

2,316

Support Functional Roles

12,823

People Permission Groups

36,781

CIs and Relationships (total)

253,753

Business Service CIs

185

Assignment Configuration

314

Service Targets

1045

CIs attached to end user

32574

BMC Knowledge Management

Known Error

14

 How To1033
 Problem Solution17
 Reference12

External Small PDF Documents 120 KB

10,000

External Large PDF Documents 1 MB

1,000

The following table summarizes the MongoDB database for five tenants prior to starting the tests:

 Table

Data volume of MongoDB for 5 tenants

Output

Type

Number of entries

Activity

Task

59,233

 

Incident

208,013

Request

209,140

Knowledge

60,356

Work Order

69,185

Change96,378

User

32,103

Resource

93,607

Subactivity

Knowledge

110

 

Task

107

Incident

95,344

Request

216

User

4

Asset

168

Work Order

939

Change22,604

This version of the documentation is no longer supported. However, the documentation is available for your convenience. You will not be able to leave comments.

Comments