This section contains information about enhancements in version 1.3.00 of BMC Remedy with Smart IT (Smart IT).
For information about issues corrected in this release, see Known and corrected issues.
New Problem Management capabilities
Version 1.3 now includes Problem Management, allowing users with Problem Management user permissions to create and manage problem investigations and known errors. Users can perform the following Problem Management tasks:
- Create problem investigations from the Create New menu or from a related incident ticket
- Create known errors from problem investigations or with the Smart IT navigation bar
- View and update problem investigations and known errors
- List, filter, and sort problem investigations and known errors in the Ticket Console
- Configure custom fields and actions on problem investigation and known error screens
- Create a knowledge article from a problem investigation or known error
- Collaborate with other problem coordinators and specialists working on related tickets
- Follow problem investigations and known errors in the Updates feed
For more information, see "Creating and managing problem investigations in Smart IT" in Related topics.
Change Management enhancements
Version 1.3 includes the following Change Management enhancements:
- Collision management—All Smart IT clients now include collision management functionality, which allows you to manage and resolve conflicts among change requests that share the same related configuration items (CIs) and have overlapping dates. For each collision, you can see the affected CIs, view change request details, and contact all of the change coordinators at the same time to quickly resolve conflicts. See "Managing collisions in Smart IT" in Related topics.
- Change calendar—The universal client includes a graphical change calendar that displays colliding change requests and outages, and allows you to drag and drop the current change request to an available date. See "Managing collisions in Smart IT" in Related topics.
- Impact analysis—You can choose to run an impact analysis on a change request, so you can identify additional CIs and services that might be affected by the change. You can relate the additional CIs and services to the change request to identify any new potential collisions. The universal client includes a graphical display of the relationships among all impacted CIs and services to help you identify and relate the most important items to the change request. Mobile clients show the first 100 impacted CIs and services in a list, with services filtered to the top for easier selection. See "Determining the impact of changes in Smart IT" in Related topics.
For more information about Change Management in Smart IT, see "Creating and managing change requests using Smart IT" in Related topics.
User experience enhancements
Version 1.3 includes the following refinements to the user experience:
- Manual refresh of consoles—In the universal client, you can now click a Refresh button to update the list of tickets or knowledge articles. This enhancement allows you to see the latest list of results based on your current filters and column configurations. See "Managing your work in Smart IT consoles" in Related topics.
- More information about assigned assets in Smart Recorder—Smart Recorder now shows additional information about assets assigned to the customer, to make it easier to select the correct asset when creating a ticket, without the need to drill down for more information. For example, Smart Recorder now shows the CI description, serial number, and status for each asset. For information about Smart Recorder, see "Smart Recorder overview" in Related topics.
- Ability to filter Updates feed for approval updates—The Updates feed on the Dashboard now includes the new filter Approval Status Changes, which allows you to filter for knowledge articles or change requests that have been approved by all parties, rejected by an approver, or held by an approver. This filter hides other kinds of updates, such as ticket status changes and work note entries, so you can focus specifically on what is happening with approvals for knowledge articles and change requests. For information about the Updates feed, see "Following tickets, assets, resources, and people in Smart IT" in Related topics.
- Support for newer MongoDB versions—If you select the option to install MongoDB, Smart IT now installs version 3.0.6, which includes performance improvements. If you use your own instance of MongoDB, the installer verifies that your installed version is supported by Smart IT (MongoDB versions 2.6.x and later).
Knowledge Management enhancements
- Revised notification banner—For clarity, the existing notification banner for flagged articles has been reworded as “This article has been flagged for quality concerns.” Multiple alerts for a ticket or knowledge article are now displayed in one panel, and you can maximize and minimize the banner.
- Responding to a flagging comment—When you reply to flagging activity, your comment is displayed as a subcomment to the flagging comment. There could be multiple subcomments to the flagging comment, all displayed as one single thread.
- Revised searchability of Retired articles—You can now search for Retired articles only through the global search or advanced search, by using the Search for knowledge resources option. Retired articles will not be listed under Recommended Knowledge or suggested knowledge articles when you create a new knowledge article.
- Internal and external use flag now available—Under Article Metadata, a new Publish to External Audiences option has been added. If a knowledge article is published and this option is set to Yes, the article is available to all self-help users. If the option is set to No, it is restricted to internal users.
New capability to configure notification method
In previous versions, when you installed Smart IT, new Smart IT notifications replaced the existing BMC Remedy IT Service Management (BMC Remedy ITSM) notifications. Starting in version 1.3, you can choose whether Smart IT notifications are enabled for each component (such as Incident Management or Change Management). Separate configurations can be set up for different companies. This feature allows you to maintain any custom notifications you might have created for BMC Remedy ITSM. See "Configuring notifications for Smart IT" in Related topics.