Defining milestones and actions for availability service targets
In Step 4 of 4 of the service target wizard, if you are not using a template, you can define milestones for your service target.
This step is optional.
Milestones are notification mechanisms to make sure that service target commitments are being met. You can define a set of milestones to trigger at certain points as you progress towards the service target goal. For example, you can create a milestone to notify your manager if the service has not been restored before 50 percent of the service target goal has elapsed.
If you try to update more than one milestone action and save the service target without a build action, you will receive a unique index violation error message explaining the current state of the data. For example: "Unique index violation on schema: SLM:Milestone, entry: 000000000000495, 1 unique index(es), field(s): 179." After you build the service target, those duplicate milestone actions are deleted and you no longer receive the index violation error.
The following section describes how to create milestones and actions for your service target.
To create milestones
- In the Milestones area, click Add.
- From the Select drop-down menu, choose Custom > New Milestone.
- Click OK.
- In the Title field, enter a brief title of the milestone or select from an existing template.
Do not include any parentheses in the milestone title.
- In the Description field, enter a description for the milestone.
- From the Execute Iflist, select from the following criteria:
- Availability %--Keeps an asset or service available during a certain percentage of time. For example, IT commits that a group of servers are up and running 90 percent of the time for a period of six months. Specify the operator and the percentage time.
- Down Time--Tracks the duration that an asset or service was unavailable. The service target can track the number of hours that an asset has been up and running or down and non-functional. The goal of the service target is not to exceed the committed amount of down time. Specify the operator and the time in hours and minutes.
- Down Count--Tracks the number of times that an asset or service was unavailable. The goal of the service target is not to exceed a certain number of down occurrences. For example, an asset cannot be down for more than five times in a period of six months. Specify the operator and a number for the down count.
- Create more equations to form a more complex qualification.
- Click OK.
To create actions
You must specify at least one action to trigger when the milestone is reached. Add as many actions as you want. To change the order in which the actions need to trigger, highlight the action and click Up or Down.
- In the Actions area, click Add.
- In the Select field, click the drop-down menu and choose to define a custom action or select from the available action templates.
- Click OK and begin defining your actions accordingly.