Defining milestones and actions for CI Outage service targets
Step 4 of 4 of the service target wizard is an optional step in which, if you are not using a template, you can define milestones for your service target.
Milestones are notification mechanisms that ensure the service target commitments are being met. As you progress towards the service target goal, you can define a set of milestones that you want to trigger as the goal progresses towards a certain point. Use this procedure to create a custom milestone if you do not use a template.
The following types of outages occur for CI Outage service targets:
- Open-ended outages—If the milestone criteria are met, the milestone triggers even though the outage is still occurring. For example, for a milestone of down time or availability %, an escalation triggers the milestone when the condition is met. If the open-ended outage closes before the milestone is due to trigger, the entry is removed.
- Completed outages—The milestone criteria are evaluated each time outage information with a start and end time is recorded. The milestone triggers if the criteria are met.
If you try to update more than one milestone action and save the service target without a build action, you will receive a unique index violation error message explaining the current state of the data. For example: "Unique index violation on schema: SLM:Milestone, entry: 000000000000495, 1 unique index(es), field(s): 179." After you build the service target, those duplicate milestone actions are deleted and you no longer receive the index violation error.
The following section describes how to create milestones and actions for your service target.
To create milestones
- In the Milestones area, click Add.
- From the Select drop-down menu, choose Custom > New Milestone.
- Click OK.
- In the Title field, enter a brief title for the milestone or select a template.
Do not include parentheses in the milestone title.
- Double-click the milestone to open the Milestone window.
- In the Description field, enter a description for the milestone.
- In the Execute If field, select from the following criteria, and click OK:
- Available %—Tracks the percentage of time that the CI is unavailable during a specified time. For example, a CI was unavailable for 10 percent of the time for six months. Specify the percentage time.
- Down Time—Tracks the duration that the CI was unavailable. The service target can track the number of hours that an asset has been up and running or down and non-functional. The goal of the service target is not to exceed the committed amount of down time. Specify the time in hours and minutes.
- Down Count—Tracks the number of times that the CI was unavailable. The goal of the service target is not to exceed a certain number of down occurrences. For example, an asset cannot be down for more than five times in a period of six months. Specify the operator and a number for the down count.
- Create more equations to form a more complex qualification, and click OK.
To create actions
You must create at least one action to associate with a milestone. Add as many actions as you want. To change the order in which the actions need to trigger, highlight the action and click Up or Down.
- In the Actions area, click Add.
- In the Select field, click the drop-down menu and choose to define a custom action or select from the available action templates.
- Click OK and begin defining your actions accordingly.