Sending email from a request
You can send messages about the current record using the Email System.
You can use this function to send email to any valid email address on any device that can receive email.
To send an email message
- Open the incident request or problem investigation record.
- In the Navigation pane, choose Functions > Email System.
- Indicate the recipient by selecting one of the following options:
- Current Contact — If Incident Management assigned a current contact to the record when you open the Email System form, the contact's name with contact information appears in the table and is the default recipient.
- Current Assignee — To select the current assignee, click Select Current Assignee. The current assignee's name with contact information appears in the table.
- To select another recipient, perform the following steps:
- Complete the fields in the People Search Criteria area.
- Click Search.
- When the search finishes, select the recipient's name in the search results table.
If you need help determining the correct name in the list, you can see more information about an individual by selecting their name from the list, and then clicking View. This opens the People form, which contains detailed information about the recipient.
- Complete the email information fields. See the list that follows for a description of the fields.
- Internet Email — This displays the recipient's email address. When you select the email recipient, as described in steps 3 and 4, the Internet email address updates from the people record.
- Email Subject Line — By default, the subject line contains the incident ID number, to which you can append text or over type.
- Email Message Body— You type the message text here. By using the series of buttons to the right of the Email Message Body field, you can also automatically insert text from the record into the message text; you can insert the following values:
ResolutionIf one or more of these buttons are dimmed, it means the corresponding field in the record contains no information.
- Email Attachment — You can attach a file to the email message (BMC Service Desk limits you to one attachment). To do this, right-click inside the Email Attachment table, and then click Add. The Add Attachment dialog box appears. Browse to and select the file that you want to attach. Click Open. Details of the attached file appear in the table.
- Click Send Email Now.