Configuring incident weight ranges
When configuring Remedy Service Desk, the system administrator assigns numerical weights to each Impact category and each Urgency level.
When the person creating the incident ticket selects the Impact and the Urgency level for an incident, Incident Management adds the numerical weights together to calculate the Priority, such as Critical.
For example, consider the following system, which is configured as described below:
- The Impact category of Significant / Large is configured with a weight value of 5.
- The Impact category of Minor / Localized is configured with a weight value 1.
- The Urgency level of "Critical" is configured with a weight value of 20.
- The Priority of "Critical" is assigned to any combination of Impact and Urgency that equals 25.
In this system, any time that an incident ticket is created with an Impact of Significant / Large and an Urgency of Critical, the system automatically assigns the Priority of Critical, because the combined weight of Impact and Urgency equals 25. If, however, an incident ticket is created with an Impact of Minor / Localized and an Urgency of Critical, the Priority is not set to Critical, because the combined value of Impact and Urgency is 21. In this case, the Priority assigned to the incident depends on how the administrator configured the system to assign a Priority based on a calculated value of 21.
The weight ranges that you configure here determine the descriptive priority (such as Critical) displayed on the Incident form. A complete set of priority weight ranges is installed with Incident Management.
After you change a weight range, you must reselect the impact and urgency in each of the applicable prioritization formulas. For details, see Configuring incident prioritization.
To configure weight ranges
- From the Application Administration Console, click the Custom Configuration tab.
- From the Application Settings list, choose Incident Management > Advanced Options > Priority and Weight Ranges - Weight Ranges, and then click Open.
The Incident Priority Weight Ranges form appears.
To modify a global priority weight range, search for the appropriate weight range, and then open it.
- To create a new priority weight range for a specific company perform the following actions:
- Select the company to which this priority weight ranges applies.
- Select the priority for which you are defining the weight range: Critical, High, Medium, or Low.
- In the Priority Weight Range area, enter or select the lower and upper ends of the weight range as Priority Weight Range 1 and Priority Weight Range 2.
- In the Description field, you can enter a descriptive note.
- Click Save.
- Repeat this procedure to define the weight range for each of the four priorities.