Configuring incident priority and weight ranges
When configuring Remedy Service Desk, the system administrator assigns numerical weights to each Impact category and each Urgency level.
When the person creating the incident ticket selects the Impact and the Urgency level for an incident, Incident Management adds the numerical weights together to calculate the Priority, such as Critical.
For example, consider the following system, which is configured as described below:
- The Impact category of Significant / Large is configured with a weight value of 5.
- The Impact category of Minor / Localized is configured with a weight value 1.
- The Urgency level of "Critical" is configured with a weight value of 20.
- The Priority of "Critical" is assigned to any combination of Impact and Urgency that equals 25.
In this system, any time that an incident ticket is created with an Impact of Significant / Large and an Urgency of Critical, the system automatically assigns the Priority of Critical, because the combined weight of Impact and Urgency equals 25. If, however, an incident ticket is created with an Impact of Minor / Localized and an Urgency of Critical, the Priority is not set to Critical, because the combined value of Impact and Urgency is 21. In this case, the Priority assigned to the incident depends on how the administrator configured the system to assign a Priority based on a calculated value of 21.
You can make changes to individual global values. To make a change for a specific company, however, you must create a complete set of values, weight ranges, and prioritization formulas for the company.
For a description of the issues related to priority and weight ranges and the procedures you perform to configure them, see the following topics:
- Configuring impact values
- Configuring urgency values
- Configuring incident weight ranges
- Configuring incident prioritization