Problem Management console header
Adds a new record.
Opens the Search feature.
A navigation aid that contains links to related records that you opened from the current problem investigation. For more information about the Breadcrumb bar, see Navigating consoles, forms, and modules.
Breadcrumb navigation controls
- Back button takes you back one link in the breadcrumb trail.
- Forward button takes you forward one link in the breadcrumb trail. The Forward button is only visible if you have returned to a record on the breadcrumb trail that you previously viewed.
- Drop down menu contains links to all the records that you viewed from the current problem investigation, including records that are not currently visible in breadcrumb trail.
- Home icon takes you to the IT Home page.
Refreshes the data in the tables.
If you have BMC Knowledge Management installed, the Global search feature lets you search across multiple forms for records that match a key term. For more information about this feature, see Using Global search.
Magnifying glass icon
The Show, By Role, and Filter By fields combine to control which problem investigation records appear in the Problem table.
- Show — Select the basic criteria by which you want to filter the contents of the Problem table, the menu choices include:
- Submitted by me — All problem investigations created by you
- All — All problem investigations, regardless of who created them
- Assigned to me — All problem investigations assigned to you
- Assigned to my group — All problem investigations assigned to a specific support group of which you are a member. If you select this, you are prompted to select the support group.
- Assigned to all my groups — All problem investigations assigned to all of the support groups of which you are a member
- Filter By — Places further conditions on the basic criteria that you chose in the Show and Role fields. This helps you manage the number of records returned by the search. If you select Assigned To All My Groups in the Show field, Problem Coordinator in the Role field and All Open > Critical Priorities from the Filter By field, the Problems table contains open problem investigations assigned to your groups for which you are the problem coordinator that have a critical priority.
The magnifying glass icon opens the Manage My Searches dialog box from which you can edit, save, and delete custom searches. Saved custom searches appear in the My Searches list under the Filter By field. For more information about Manage My Searches, see Managing custom searches.
- By Role — From this field, select a Problem Management assignment role: Assignee, Problem Coordinator, or All (meaning Assignee, or Problem Coordinator, or both). The Role selection combines with the Show selection to limit the records presented in the Problem table. For example, if you select Assigned To All My Groups from the Show field and Problem Coordinator from the Role field, then all records assigned to the groups that you belong to, for which the group is the assigned problem coordinator, appear in the Problem table. You can configure a default Role field selection using Application Preferences.
Note: The By Role field is unavailable when you select one or more of the following conditions:
- All or Submitted By Me from the Show menu
- Solution Database or All Types from the Filter By menu
- More Filters — If you still have a large number of records after using the Show, Role, and Filter By fields, click More Filters to open a dialog box that contains fields in which you can indicate even more precise information, such as product or operational categories. For example, using More Filters you can add the product category Hardware to the filter. The funnel icon beside the More Filters link is active when a filter from this area is used.
View Broadcast, or New Broadcast
Click this link to open the broadcast dialog box, from where you can view, create, modify, and delete broadcasts.
When there are unread broadcast messages, this area displays a message:
New Broadcast, along with the number of new messages. When there are new broadcast messages, the area also turns red.
For more information about broadcasting messages, see Working with broadcasts.
Note: If you open the Problem Management console with no new broadcast messages, but the View Broadcast link is red, open the Application Preferences dialog box and make sure that a Console View preference has been selected. For information about how to view and select Console View preferences, see Selecting the application preferences.
This area shows the number of open, unassigned, and unacknowledged problem investigations and the number of open known errors according to the selection in the Show field.
The count categories are:
- Open Problems – refers to problem investigations that have a status of: under review, request for authorization, assigned, and under investigation
- Unassigned Problems – refers to problem investigations that are not assigned to an individual.
- Unacknowledged Problems – refers to problem requests that have a status of: assigned, or pending. An investigation is no longer considered unacknowledged after you change its status to In Progress.
- Open Known Errors – refers to known errors that have a status of: assigned, scheduled for correction, and assigned to vendor.
Use the links in this area to do the following actions:
This area contains links to other BMC applications, consoles, and modules. The contents of this area depend on what other applications and so on are installed. Click the double greater-than sign to open or close this panel.
Displays high-level details about the records that match the criteria specified in the Company and Assigned To fields, or that were found by the most recently completed search.
Opens a dialog box from which you can select to create either a Known Error, Problem Investigation, or Solution Database record.
Create for Company
(Hub and Spoke environments only)
Opens a selection list from which you select the company you are creating the record for. You then select to create either a Known Error, Problem Investigation, or Solution Database record.
Opens the Known Error, Problem Investigation, or Solution Database record selected in the Problems table.
Prints the details of the Known Error, Problem Investigation, or Solution Database record selected in the Problems table.
If the full BMC Service Management Process Model application is installed, opens the detailed BMC Service Management Process Model Problem Management process. Otherwise, it opens a high-level diagram of the problem management process.
Opens the Service Context Summary view for the record selected in the console table. The Service Context button is only available when a business service CI is associated with the problem investigation. If a business service CI is associated with the problem investigation, the CI name appears in the Service column of the Problems table. For more information about Service Context, see Using BMC Atrium Service Context.
Click Preferences to open a menu from which you can add or remove columns from the table, set the rate at which the application refreshes the table contents, or restore the default table preferences.
Details and Tasks
Details — When selected, contains detailed information about the record selected in the Problems table. To see Details when the Tasks table is showing, click Show Details.
The Create, View, and Report icons relate to work information notes. For information about working with work information notes, see Creating Work Information entries.
Note: You can sort the table by clicking any of the column headings, except Notes. The table does not sort on the Notes column.
Tasks — When selected, lets you view tasks associated with the record that is selected in the Problems table. To see Tasks when Details is showing, click Show Tasks.