User goals and features
This topic provides an overview of the service desk user goals, especially those related to solving business problems, and how they are addressed by the features in the product.
The following information is provided:
Incident Management user goals and features
The information in this section is for support personnel. It describes how to use the Incident Management feature to manage an incident request through its lifecycle; starting with registration, through assignment, resolution, and on to closure.
There are also topics for group coordinators and on-duty managers that include assigning incident requests as a group coordinator, tracking incident requests, and handling escalations.
Other topics related to the general management of incident requests are also covered in this section, as outlined in the following list:
- Registering and assigning incident requests
- Updating an incident request
- Changing the incident request status
- Resolving and closing incident requests
- Reopening a closed or resolved incident request
- Working with incident requests as a manager
- Viewing incident request records
- Reviewing the status of an incident request
- Recording CI unavailability in Incident Management
- Using Incident Management scripts
- Relating incident requests and problem investigations
- Assigning or reassigning an incident request to a vendor
- Managing service targets
- Using tasks
Problem Management user goals and features
These topics describe how to use the Problem Management feature to manage problem investigation through their lifecycle, as described by the BMC Service Management Process Model.
- Changing problem status and setting the status reason
- Performing the incident request review
- Performing the root cause analysis
- Performing the analysis review
- Closing the problem investigation
- Using the Incident Management decision tree