Creating a computer system CI
Use this procedure to create a computer system CI.
To create a computer system CI
- From the Navigation pane of the console, choose Functions > Manage CIs.
- From the CI Type list of the CI Type dialog box, select System > Computer System.
- Click Create.
In the CI Name field of the Computer System form, type a name for the CI.
Best PracticeWhen creating a CI name, we recommend that you follow a consistent naming convention. According to ITIL guidelines, identifiers should be short but meaningful, and for hardware they should not be based on supplier device names. For example, the name can include an indicator of the CI's function (such as Workstation or Monitor) followed by a numeric code (for example, MONITOR100).
- In the CI ID field, type a unique alphanumeric value for the CI.
- Select the company to which this CI belongs.
- From the Primary Capability and Capability lists, select the roles this CI performs in your company's topology.
Select a status from the Status list.
The default value is Deployed. You can select one of the following options:
The CI was ordered from the supplier.
The CI was received in shipping.
The CI is being assembled.
The CI was installed.
The CI is down for maintenance.
The CI is down, but not yet in maintenance.
End of Life
The CI is no longer being deployed.
The CI was transferred to another place.
The CI is marked for deletion. You must be a member of the APP-Management or APP-Administrator group to mark a CI for deletion.
The CI is in inventory but not yet deployed. When you select this status, you are prompted to select the inventory place.
The CI is on loan to another location.
The CI is no longer available and was disposed of.
The CI was reserved and taken out of inventory.
Return to Vendor
The CI must be returned to the vendor as damaged or unwanted.
- Specify whether the CI is supported by selecting Yes or No from the Supported list.
- Select what impact or urgency this CI will have if it goes down.
- In the Users Affected field, specify the number of people who use this CI or will be affected if it goes down.
Complete the other fields in this area:
The CI tag number; this is the number usually placed on the product by a member of your IT department to track the CI.
The CI serial number
The CI part number
The role this CI plays in your company
The reason this CI has the status it does
- Click the General tab.
- Categorize your CI using the lists and fields in the Product Categorization area.
- Specify the place of the CI using the lists and fields in the Location area.
- Enter the dates of the CI in the lifecycle area.
- Click the Specifications tab.
- Add more information about the CI.
- Click Save.