Viewing the impact of change requests on CIs and assets
You can view the configuration items (CIs) and assets that can be impacted when a change request is implemented on a CI or an asset. For example, you can identify which devices and applications in the network are affected if you take a specific server offline due to scheduled maintenance or lease returns.
While configuring relationships for CIs and assets, you must select Yes in the HasImpact field for the CIs and assets that are affected due to a change on a source CI or asset. For example, while configuring a relationship between a server and a server application, select Yes in the HasImpact field.
Assume that C1, C2, C3, and C4 are CIs and A1, A2, and A3 are assets; where C1 is source for C2 and C4 (the HasImpact field value is Yes ); C2 is source for A1 and C3 (the HasImpact field value is Yes); and C4 is source for A2 and A3 (the HasImpact field value is No). If a change request is implemented on C1, the CIs C2, C3, and C4, and the asset A1 could be impacted. The following figure shows the relationship among CIs and assets, and the CIs and assets that are impacted by changes on C1.
To view the impact of change requests on source CIs and assets
- Click the Remedyforce Console tab.
- From the View menu, select Change Requests.
- From the list of change requests, click the change request whose impact on CIs and assets you want to view.
- From the Agent Tools menu, select Impact Analysis.
- In the Impact Analysis window, from the list of CIs and assets linked to the change request, select the CI or asset whose impact you want to view.
To view a CI or asset in the Instance Editor, click the name of that CI or asset in the Instance Name column.
- Click Analyze Impact.
If you do not select a CI or asset that is linked to the change request, the Analyze Impact button is disabled.
All of the CIs and assets that can be impacted if a change request is implemented on the selected CI or asset are shown. For all of the impacted CIs or assets, the value selected in the Has Impact field of relationships must be Yes.
To view business services only, click Business Services Only.
To view different fields of a CI or an asset in the list views of the Impact Analysis window, contact your system administrator.
- To get a list of impacted CIs or assets, perform the following actions:
- Select the CI or asset whose impacted CIs and assets you want to view in a report.
- Click the Attach impacted CIs to change request button.
- Navigate back to the change request.
- Click Record Details.
- In the Notes & Attachments section, in the Action column, click View.
The list of CIs and assets impacted by the selected CI or asset is available in CSV format.
To view a CI or an asset, and its relationships in a graphical manner, select that CI or asset, and click Launch CMDB Explorer.
A CI or an asset, or any CI or asset relationship for which the Mark As Deleted check box is selected is not displayed in the CMDB Explorer.