Creating an incident by applying a template
To help ensure accuracy and completeness, BMC recommends that you use a template to create a record. A template ensures consistency in the way information is captured. Your administrator can define templates for commonly occurring incidents. Navigation to a record varies based on the UI that you are using. To determine the UI that you are using, see Determining the UI that you are using.
The following topics are provided:
To create an incident by applying a template
- Click the Remedyforce Console tab.
From the View menu, select Incidents and click New.
To view the incident records in Open state, ensure that Remedyforce Incident View is selected in the View menu.
- In the Client ID field, select the client.
If a client is not available, to add a new client, click. Alternatively, in the Users lookup, click the Create New Client button. The option to add a new client is also shown when you type client ID in the Client ID field, and press Tab.
To show the options to create a new client, system administrator must select the Enable creation of clients from the Incident page in Remedyforce Console check box. For more information, see Configuring user settings.
- (Optional) If you want to view incidents that are already registered for the client or other incidents that were raised for the client or category, you can search for similar incidents by selecting the Incident Matching option from the Agent Tools menu.
Until you save the record, search results are based on matching Client ID or Category. You cannot link the record to another record until you save the record. After saving the record, fields specified by the system administrator in the Incident Matching field set are used to find matching incidents.
In the Template field, click.
You can also type a value in the Template field. From the list of matching records that is displayed, you can select the required template.
If you have a field of type Text Area (Rich) on the form, the selected template field values are not shown on the form immediately. The fields from template are populated when you save the record.
In the Templates window, select the required template.
After you select a template, the screen refreshes, and fields from the selected template are populated. If you have a rich text type of field on the form, the template field values are shown on the form when you click Save.
If the Urgency and Impact fields are populated from the selected template, the priority is calculated and displayed on the form only after you click Save.
To create recurring records, select a template on which recurrence is defined. All the recurring records are created at the same time using the same template information. The recurrence information is stored in the Recurrence field. You cannot apply a recurring template for a record where the Recurrence field already contains information.
Recurring records are created only when you apply the recurring template to at least one record.
If the system administrator has selected the Replace form field values with template field values check box, the values that you enter on the form are replaced with the values specified in the selected template (if available).
Enter other information about the incident or service request, and click Save.
For more information, see Incident fields.
If the system administrator has activated the Notify the client when an incident is created workflow, an email message is sent to the client of the record when you create the record. If you select a lead as the client of the incident, no email message is sent.
Applying a template on existing incident records
Based on the settings configured by your system administrator, you are allowed or not allowed to select a template for an existing record. If the setting is not enabled, the Template field is disabled on the Incident form and if you clickin the Template field, an error message is displayed.
Following is the expected behavior when you apply template to an incident record and also select a broadcast in the record:
- All the template values, except Urgency, are populated in the record when the Replace form field values with template field values check box is selected by the system administrators.
- Only blank fields of the record are populated from template when the Replace form field values with template field values check box is clear. The value in the Urgency field is not populated from the template, even if it exists in the template. It gets populated from the selected broadcast.
- The Urgency field value of the linked broadcast is saved in the Urgency field of the incident record as the urgency of a broadcast is assigned first in the urgency assignment order.
- The broadcast owner becomes the incident owner.
Applying suggested templates on existing incidents
Suggested templates are displayed when you select Suggested Templates from the Agent Tools menu on the Incident form. This option is displayed based on the configuration settings by your system administrator.
Use suggested templates for the incidents that are created from email messages. Templates are suggested to you based on the values saved in the Category or Description fields.
- The Category field of the incident is compared with the Category or Keyword field in the templates where it is used and the matching templates are displayed.
- The Description or Category fields of the incident are compared with the Keywords or Category fields of the template (if exists), and the matching templates are displayed.
To apply suggested templates on existing incidents
- Click the Remedyforce Console tab.
- From the View menu, select Incidents.
- From the list of incidents, select the record on which you want to apply a suggested template.
- From the Agent Tools menu, select Suggested Templates.
- Select a template.
- Click Save.
If you apply a template to an incident, and the template has multiple linked task templates, then the tasks are created in a separate process after the incident is saved. It may take some time for the linked tasks to be displayed in the record details, or you may need to reload the record details.