Searching for, importing, and linking a device to incidents or service requests
When you are creating an incident or a service request for a BMC Client Management device, you must link the device to the incident or service request.
In the Select From Configuration Items window, the Remedyforce CMDB and BCM tabs are displayed only if the system administrator has enabled the integration between BMC Remedyforce and BMC Client Management.
The Remedyforce CMDB tab displays the configuration items of Remedyforce CMDB and the BMC Client Management devices that are imported into Remedyforce CMDB. If the required device is not present on this tab, you can search for the device by using the Search field of the BCM tab.
The BCM tab displays the devices of the client linked to the current incident or service request only if the Unique User ID In Source field of the User object is populated with the domain name and user name of the linked client. The Unique User ID In Source field is populated when users are imported to your Salesforce organization from an LDAP server. For more information, contact your system administrator.
The value in the Unique User ID In Source field can be stored in the following formats:
- Domain\User Name
- User Name@Domain
When you type the search criteria in the Search field and click Search, BMC Remedyforce queries the BMC Client Management database and displays the matching devices from the BMC Client Management database.
Note the following important points about searching for a device:
- The search is not case sensitive.
- You can use wildcard characters such as an asterisk (*) for any number of missing characters and a question mark (?) for a single missing character.
- To refine the search, use operators such as AND, OR, and NOT. Use parentheses if you use multiple operators.
- You can search for a value in a specific field by using the <Field Name>::<Value> notation. You can search in the following fields: name, os, fpac, ip, domain, netbios, macaddress, serialnumber, type, currentuser, user, security, vendor, po, support, dept, sku, status, contact, and owner.
- Example: domain::bmc.com
To search for, import, and link a device to an incident or a service request
- Click the Remedyforce Console tab and select View > Incidents/Service Requests.
- From the list of records, click the appropriate incident or service request record.
- Click the Configuration Item lookup icon and in the Select from Configuration Items pop-up window, click Link CI.
If you are connecting from BMC Remedyforce to BMC Client Management for the first time, the BMC Client Management Authentication dialog box appears. Enter your BMC Client Management credentials in this dialog box. Your BMC Client Management user name is saved, and you do not need to enter your credentials for future connection attempts.
- If the required device is displayed on the Remedyforce CMDB tab, double-click the device to link it to the incident or service request.
You can filter the records that are displayed on the Remedyforce CMDB tab by using the following options from the Views menu:
- Linked to Client --Displays all configuration items that belong to the client linked to the incident or service request
- Linked to Account --Displays all configuration items that belong to the account linked to the incident or service request
- All --Displays all configuration items
- If the required device is not displayed on the Remedyforce CMDB tab, perform the following actions:
- Click the BCM tab.
- To search for a device in the BMC Client Management database, type the search criteria in the Search field, and click Search.
- In the displayed search results, double-click the required device to link it to the incident or service request.
The selected device appears in the Service and Configuration Items Details Related list section of the incident or service request. The device is imported into the Computer Systems class.